Mostly Moths 2019

Well here goes, for better or worse, another year of moths. The old thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196070/mostly-moths-2018/1221500#1221500

To start us off a couple of silly ones that came to greet the first trap of the year on the night of the 1st to 2nd january. It was around 6-7°C all night & frosts ever since so I gave it a go.

A Double-striped Pug

& same one closed

& White Speck

Nothing earth-shattering, but a start!

• What a stunning looking moth, very nice find and photo. Also well done with the book.
  • Thanks Hazy (& Alan too) for all your comments over the years which has encouraged me to keep posting my moths on here. It's hard to believe it's been that long since I started with the wine rope!!
  • Hazel C said:
    & maybe free download one day!

It is already H but all in French of course ... great pics though!   Good to know someone famous!!

Your moth is a beauty ... currently waiting for my Emperors to emerge after overwintering in my shed ... there are four hopefully viable pupae in butterfly house on dining table ... one is out of it's cocoon & wiggling well!

• Congratulations on the publication of the book, Hazel. After five years hard work it must make you feel proud to see your name as co-author.
    The moth (Emperor?) is beautiful. Sadly, I've never seen one. If I was a bird I would think twice before attacking it with those four eyes staring at me. LOL
  • Great moth … and well done on the book.
  • WendyBartter said:

Hazel C said:
    & maybe free download one day!

It is already H but all in French of course ... great pics though!  

Sorry Wendy, but forgot to explain that the second half of the page is about Antoines "Catalogue for Deux-Sèvres", which is on free download. Ours is tied to the Museum for now, probably until they sell most of the books & break-even!

I don't suppose your Emperors will be long now, but mine was quite an early suprise one morning last week.

• Unknown said:
    Congratulations on the publication of the book, Hazel. After five years hard work it must make you feel proud to see your name as co-author.
    The moth (Emperor?) is beautiful. Sadly, I've never seen one. If I was a bird I would think twice before attacking it with those four eyes staring at me. LOL

Thanks TJ & yes it does feel good, but a bit of an anti-climax after the book launch fiasco! The Emperor Moth is lovely & although a bit smaller, prettier than the Giant one in my view. The colours are so rich.

Thanks too to Nigel & all the forumites who've shown interest in the Moth thread over the years, especially Wendy, who has taken it to ever increasing heights with her caterpillars.

• Very well done on your book Hazel, must be very satisfying to see it in print after all this time.
    The moths can be so beautiful I like to drop in from time to time and am glad I did today:-)
  • Hazel C said:
    ever increasing heights with her caterpillars.

Sad to report that the second one of this year has succumbed & never did know ID for sure ... always on the lookout though!

• He came from here ...

First sighting @ 15.10 ...

Beautiful male Emperor Moth drying out rapidly @ 15.58 ...