Mostly Moths 2019

• WOW ... have a female!! But slight problem as pupal case was attached to one wing, managed to free her but wing slightly bent ... hoping it dries out straight!
    She's a big girl & insisted in charging all around Butterfly house before settling to dry out properly which is why the pic is a bit blurred!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I am so very lucky ... female has come good as she dried

Male opened up to show hindwings

Didn't waste much time getting their act together ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• What beautiful creatures Wendy, makes all your work worthwhile:-)

Lot to learn

• Thanks Gaynor, must admit that they are quite the most beautiful moths I have encountered so far ... the caterpillars last year were pretty impressive!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Very lucky to get another female Emperor this afternoon, male & remaining intact pupa each in separate pots to prevent any further incestuous mating! Lol
    Can see first females eggs laid overnight in this new pic

Still has to dry out some more but is noticeably bigger than the first female!

Looks pretty much inflated now ... what a whopper!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I didn't realise the males are daytime moths (so I'll have to keep an eye out) … and then oddly the females are night fliers. You'd think they'd organise themselves a bit better and fly at the same time, wouldn't you!

Nige   Flickr

• Very small window of opportunity sometime late afternoon/early evening but they seem to manage quite well! Bit different when kept in captivity but even then the mating time was quite short in comparison to other moths I have bred ... must have been his bedtime! Lol
    Have edited in pic of her now fully inflated & well dried out!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WOW Wendy, I missed all the excitement but I'm really pleased for you. They are so lovely, I never saw my female again, I expect she was hanging around somewhere waiting for her male to come along. Will you try & rear caterpillars now from the eggs?

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Hi H ...Intend to keep these first eggs to watch/study & see if any hatch but won't breed from them as they are result of brother/sister union which was a mistake on my part & viruses could occur...............have located a heather woodland patch at some woods only a short distance from mine & will let any survivors take their chances there & if they pupate & eclose successfully then there will be a non-related gene pool to mingle with later next year!
    I hope, over this weekend, to take my second female there in the hope that she will attract an unrelated male to mate with, then I can bring her back & maybe start a breeding stock! Have released my two males here in the hope they will find females to mate with though never attracted any before! Weather has improved a great deal here although still chilly East wind!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Gosh, you are well organised. I did a trap 2 nights ago but only got 8 species compared to about 25 last weekend! I've been going green with envy looking at the results of a trap of what sounds like a Brit in eastern France. He had 51 species a couple of nights ago in the Alps with temperatures around 0°C. The area looks quite woody, but even so..... I had a little one flying past the kitchen window when we were having dinner last night, so I ran out with my net & did a lovely tennis jump & caught it. It turned out to be a new one for me

Its a Skin moth (Monopis laevigella) & lives on animal debris ! Nice!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France