Seen in Bristol City Centre!

I thought I would share with you my experience.......

Yesterday afternoon the Sun came out for a few hours. I decided to have a walk around Eastville Park in the the Centre of Bristol.

There was the usual Grey Herons to see at the same locations where they are normally seen. I watched each one of them for some time hoping to see one catch a fish but they were all just motionless.

I made my way to the lake passing 3 Kingfishers flying low to the river. There were 5 Goosanders (2 Males) with the mallards.They did not seem to be put off by the many walkers with dogs. Eight Cormorants were sitting high up in one tree and another on the lake constantly diving but not coming up with any fish. There was also many Black-Headed Gulls as well as a Coot.

Along the River I heard a Grey Wagtail but couldn’t see it as it was dark in places. Eventually it showed itself and was constantly on the move. Each Time I tried to focus on it with my camera it would fly further up the river. I got my opportunity when it found an area of flies and I managed to get some great shots.

The Wagtail had actually led me to a Dipper that was on rocks in the river and it would emerge its head completely in the water and come up with a grub. I watched it toss stones over and eat something that was under the stone. I started taking photo's But was concerned that my camera shutter would scare it but it did the opposite, the dipper moved closer towards me. The sun started to shine through the trees giving a beautiful light on the water it was just a few minutes to get some photo's of the dipper before the sun disappeared behind a cloud. On my way back to the car there was a family of Long Tailed tits.

Not bad for a 2 hour walk. How lucky was I.

If you would like to see some more of my photo’s of my day please visit my Flickr page site……www.ukbirds.co.uk

Thank you for looking and have a wonderful Christmas all.

Regards

Paul Cousins

• "Hello Noisette

I've seen them in the Cotswolds but I was trilled to see one in the City Park. Yes Dipper's are one of my favourite birds also but I must say I love the Male Black Redstarts most of all."

We are lucky enough to have one overwintering, it's the same adult male as last year & he loves mealies. He generally works out where we are in the house & bobs around in a treee or on a roof & even on the letterbox, to attract our attention. I get within a few feet of him now.

He's standing on the shed here where the mealies are kept & after I put them on the wall he's there

but he's not greedy, he has 2 or 3 & then fly's off

Happy Xmas Paul!

• How lucky you are Noisette to have such a regular visitor. It's their nature and characteristics I love. They will come and greet you and always inquisitive. I don't see many males but plenty of females. You too have a lovely Christmas.

• Superb photos Paul.

Camera shutter noise I've found to usually arouse the curiosity of birds, rather than scare them, as you will see from the images below.

That is done by myself, not the camera... Joy

• Tack Sharp Photo's Mike, very nice indeed!, yes you can certainly see the curiosity in the birds faces.

• Smashing set of photos Paul,it is surprising what wildlife is around our town and city centres. Our little North Yorkshire city has three rivers running through or round it and these help attract a variety of birds. After our weekly market just before Christmas a flock of about 20 Pied Wagtails were feeding in the bits left by the fruit and veg stalls,great to see.

• Thank you Seaman, that must of been great to see. I've never seen more than a pair of Pied Wagtails at the same location.

I walked around the Bristol Park on Boxing Day and the Dipper and now 7 Goosanders are still there, thats been 2 weeks now. Always see Kingfishers and Grey Herons but never know what's going to turn up. I've not seen the Otter yet where as many have. I got some great photo's of Goosanders, they were easy to photograph as the lake is small.

• Paul - this is so cute! He looks to me like an elderly gentleman who has come out of his club, having eaten too much Sunday dinner and drunk too much port. A little glazed of eye and portly of middle!! Such a super white bib, too, and chestnut waistcoat...

• Thank You Karen, yes I agree. I love to watch them bob up and down and dive. I took some more photo's of Dippers yesterday. I was lucky to see 3 on the same stretch of water. There was a pair and an intruder that was being constantly chased off. Plenty of scuffles going on but too dark to photograph the action. There are a few photo's on my Flickr page if you would like to look at.....www.ukbirds.co.uk

• Had a walk around the Bristol City Park this morning, 3 x kingfishers and 3 grey herons. Also a grey wagtail, no dipper.