Visiting Walter !

You will remember  " Walter Rail-ey "  from our last trip a couple of weeks ago to L.Moss;    well, we found a good deal at Pine Lake, telephoned Jim and the three of us are back up at Silverdale again for a few days.   Of course, the first bird after the obligatory feeding of half a dozen robins was checking out to see if Walter was around.   There were lots of people being a very sunny day and a Sunday and when we got to the log area by the ditch we found a pair of Mallards, the usual woodland birds and two female Pheasants.    Walter had been seen just prior to us getting there but he had skulked off in the reed bed next to the path.     Mike and I waited patiently for fifteen minutes or so and suddenly he appeared,   it was a bit more difficult with the mallards and pheasants competing for the live mealworms I had but managed to single out Walter in the end who came out of the undergrowth and brook.       I only put a few live mealies down as there are a large number of rats and other bird seed/suet/nuts should not be put down (athough as usual, one or two people always ignore the rules).    I did ask a senior member of staff beforehand to ensure it was ok to sprinkle a few worms out and that was ok as they get eaten quickly with no waste;   if I see any rats I stop as happened on our 2nd visit to see Walter today.

Ok, here are the photos from today;   I didn't take masses so have selected a few different species.

Here comes Walter Rail-ey out of hiding   !

2nd visit to see Walter,  a couple turned up as 5 of us were waiting for the Rail to return but ignoring the no seed/suet/nuts, etc.,  they put several lots of crushed food and seed down on the logs and ground and within minutes the rats turned up  :(         We mentioned the problem caused by leaving handfuls of seed but they said the notice was at the other log, not this one !    The 5 of us who had waited for the rail to return decided to move off now that the rats had arrived.       I know folk find it disappointing at the moment not to be able to feed the birds at the logs but I did mention live mealworms would be ok if sprinkled in small quantities (not dried that hang around too long) .      

and other birds down in the woodland area en-route to Lower Hide

Blue Tit

Coal Tit

Great Tit

female Chaffinch

Marsh Tit

and Mike feeding the robin (we think this is FMR (Four Minute Robin)  who helped itself from the tub !

That's all for today, thanks for viewing.

• Such clear photos Hazy, absolutely gorgeous, especially Walter of course, but Nutty and the Blue Tit against the blue sky, and just love the Coal Tit too, haven't seen one for ages and they are such fabulous little birds.    Such a shame the rats appeared, but the seed is such easy food for them, I bet there are plenty around there.   Glad you are having a good visit,  heavy showers here today so hope you stayed warm and dry.

• You have had another nice visit, lovely photos, thanks for sharing.

• Wow, you got some very nice pictures there Hazel, I arrived before you had set off and started off down at the Salt marsh not a lot going on but got a few to show later.

• The Winter sun makes for good lighting doesn't it?

• Thanks all,   

@ Paul:    the light was beautiful yesterday and hopefully same today, fingers crossed, before we go back to cloudy conditions tomorrow.   At least it looks dry for our three days.      Off to salt marsh first and then to causeway area - I even have a robin at the salt marsh to feed  lol    

• Lovely photos as usual Hazy & I hope you have a good day today. We are visiting the Wall-creeper monument at lunchtime as a stop off point on a buying trip, so hope we'll be lucky too.

• Excellent stuff. I was chatting to someone the other day and Water Rails came up in the discussion, "you know one comes out at LM and they've even given it a nickname!" he said. I had to admit I did know!

That Coal Tit looks confused by all those mealies - maybe hasn't seen so many all in one place just waiting to be et Slight smile

No sign of the Shrike or American Wigeon yet? Anyway good luck with the rest of your stay.

• Thanks Nige,   a very quiet day today generally so no photos to speak of as most birds were even beyond the reach of 300 x 2.       Cloudier than we expected too but at least it was dry.    Sadly, no sign of American Wigeon or the Shrike although we tried for both.        Walter is becoming famous  lol       He can always be relied on to put in an appearance although there is still a rat problem :(           The Coal Tit always prefers sunhearts or peanuts in preference to live mealies but with so many rats I tend not to put any seed down on the main reserve but do put a little down at the far woodland area towards Lower Hide.   I'm sure he had a nut at some stage  !  

Quick pic of Walter this morning .................

• Fabulous photos again, Hazel, thanks (but I've come to expect that--lol!)  Lovely that Walter showed well again both yesterday and today.  Love the pics of the other birdies as well.  Best of luck for tomorrow.  When are you off home from this trip?  Aren't you back up there again in no time at all?!  Over Christmas?

• Thanks Ann,    this was a last minute booking because of the cheap accommodation;   we'll be heading back home sometime on Wednesday but returning a week and half later with Jim as well on 23rd December - 28th December;  I'll try get a photo of Jim and Mike with Santa hats on and a robin in the hand  LOL - although we are not allowed on LM reserve on 25th Dec. as they have to close at least one day a year.     We can go down Causeway as it is public access.   I think we should have a festive picnic on the beach  ha ha !   Watch this space  lol