Visiting Walter !

You will remember  " Walter Rail-ey "  from our last trip a couple of weeks ago to L.Moss;    well, we found a good deal at Pine Lake, telephoned Jim and the three of us are back up at Silverdale again for a few days.   Of course, the first bird after the obligatory feeding of half a dozen robins was checking out to see if Walter was around.   There were lots of people being a very sunny day and a Sunday and when we got to the log area by the ditch we found a pair of Mallards, the usual woodland birds and two female Pheasants.    Walter had been seen just prior to us getting there but he had skulked off in the reed bed next to the path.     Mike and I waited patiently for fifteen minutes or so and suddenly he appeared,   it was a bit more difficult with the mallards and pheasants competing for the live mealworms I had but managed to single out Walter in the end who came out of the undergrowth and brook.       I only put a few live mealies down as there are a large number of rats and other bird seed/suet/nuts should not be put down (athough as usual, one or two people always ignore the rules).    I did ask a senior member of staff beforehand to ensure it was ok to sprinkle a few worms out and that was ok as they get eaten quickly with no waste;   if I see any rats I stop as happened on our 2nd visit to see Walter today.

Ok, here are the photos from today;   I didn't take masses so have selected a few different species.

Here comes Walter Rail-ey out of hiding   !

2nd visit to see Walter,  a couple turned up as 5 of us were waiting for the Rail to return but ignoring the no seed/suet/nuts, etc.,  they put several lots of crushed food and seed down on the logs and ground and within minutes the rats turned up  :(         We mentioned the problem caused by leaving handfuls of seed but they said the notice was at the other log, not this one !    The 5 of us who had waited for the rail to return decided to move off now that the rats had arrived.       I know folk find it disappointing at the moment not to be able to feed the birds at the logs but I did mention live mealworms would be ok if sprinkled in small quantities (not dried that hang around too long) .      

and other birds down in the woodland area en-route to Lower Hide

Blue Tit

Coal Tit

Great Tit

female Chaffinch

Marsh Tit

and Mike feeding the robin (we think this is FMR (Four Minute Robin)  who helped itself from the tub !

That's all for today, thanks for viewing.

• Thanks so much Gaynor,   pity the Harrier was a bit distant but they are such a lovely birds to see in flight as they quarter the reed bed area looking for prey (unfortunately small birds are often on the main menu) 

• Very nice Hazel, not a bad day but could have done with a little more light lets hope it better on our next visit :) 

• Super photos as always Hazel. I know it's controversial, but I like rats, they're only critters after all. I understand the non-feeding thing though & wouldn't do it if asked not to. Enjoy your further visits over Christmas.

• Thanks Anna;   I think an average number of rats wouldn't be a problem as you will find rats everywhere but numbers have swelled recently and the rising water levels have driven them out from the reeds/log areas towards the main pathways and around reception area so feed has had to be reduced at the dedicated feeding station with the added request to visitors not to put down seed as they are reluctant to use poison to reduce the rat population and prefer to use natural dispersal methods.

• But some people like we have seen take no notice and still put piles of food out, we both still do but only were we know it will be eaten bye the birds Your ducks :) 

• Hazel, JIm, etc., have you seen  that the LM cafe has early closing on several days before Christmas and the shop has one closed day.  See LM blog for the details.

• Thanks Ann;   shouldn't affect us as we are not arriving until Sunday 23rd December (until 28th Dec) although they will probably close early Christmas Eve and who can blame them !    The reserve is always open anytime except for Xmas Day when folk should not be tempted to go on to the reserve in order for rspb to keep those permissive rights of way.        The rest of the time when the VC is closed you can always have access to the reserve.