Visiting Walter !

You will remember  " Walter Rail-ey "  from our last trip a couple of weeks ago to L.Moss;    well, we found a good deal at Pine Lake, telephoned Jim and the three of us are back up at Silverdale again for a few days.   Of course, the first bird after the obligatory feeding of half a dozen robins was checking out to see if Walter was around.   There were lots of people being a very sunny day and a Sunday and when we got to the log area by the ditch we found a pair of Mallards, the usual woodland birds and two female Pheasants.    Walter had been seen just prior to us getting there but he had skulked off in the reed bed next to the path.     Mike and I waited patiently for fifteen minutes or so and suddenly he appeared,   it was a bit more difficult with the mallards and pheasants competing for the live mealworms I had but managed to single out Walter in the end who came out of the undergrowth and brook.       I only put a few live mealies down as there are a large number of rats and other bird seed/suet/nuts should not be put down (athough as usual, one or two people always ignore the rules).    I did ask a senior member of staff beforehand to ensure it was ok to sprinkle a few worms out and that was ok as they get eaten quickly with no waste;   if I see any rats I stop as happened on our 2nd visit to see Walter today.

Ok, here are the photos from today;   I didn't take masses so have selected a few different species.

Here comes Walter Rail-ey out of hiding   !

2nd visit to see Walter,  a couple turned up as 5 of us were waiting for the Rail to return but ignoring the no seed/suet/nuts, etc.,  they put several lots of crushed food and seed down on the logs and ground and within minutes the rats turned up  :(         We mentioned the problem caused by leaving handfuls of seed but they said the notice was at the other log, not this one !    The 5 of us who had waited for the rail to return decided to move off now that the rats had arrived.       I know folk find it disappointing at the moment not to be able to feed the birds at the logs but I did mention live mealworms would be ok if sprinkled in small quantities (not dried that hang around too long) .      

and other birds down in the woodland area en-route to Lower Hide

Blue Tit

Coal Tit

Great Tit

female Chaffinch

Marsh Tit

and Mike feeding the robin (we think this is FMR (Four Minute Robin)  who helped itself from the tub !

That's all for today, thanks for viewing.

• A festive picnic on the beach! Make sure you have plenty of thermals with you then!! Also plenty of liquid for internal heat! Lol.

• Wonderful that you could get cheap accommodation on the spur of the moment.  If you do the picnic on the beach over Christmas, I want photos!  Are you cooking a turkey up there?  We are off to Essex over Christmas, but hoping to visit a reserve or two between visits with friends and relatives (3 days written off--lol!).  I've just learned that one reserve is closed on both Christmas and Boxing Day--what a cheek, lol!

• Hope you have a wonderful time in Essex and get to see the reserves either side of Xmas and Boxing Day;    LM opens on Boxing Day so not a problem here.   We will be staying in Travelodge  ( @ £21 - £25 pn   lol )    with no kitchen facilities so it will be quick trip to the Moto services on the Travelodge complex and see what the mini M & Spencers have as tasty snacks which don't need cooking  lol     Cold cuts for our xmas -  no fridge either so can only buy one day at  a time  !   God knows what sort of day we'll have but you can be sure the three amigos will have fun whatever the weather or make do menu throw at us   ha ha

• Make sure you have plenty of thermals with you then!! Also plenty of liquid for internal heat! Lol.

I've just bought a few more winter base layer thermals although it's been pretty mild generally - apart from 3 degrees this morning !    I'll have to make sure and bring a flask so if we sit on the beach we can have a hot cuppa   lol    might take Brandy too in case we need defrosting from any winter freeze   !      I'll have to forgo paddling in the water this time  ha ha .

• Hazel, With a bit of alteration in the genders, 'You're a better man than I am, Gungadin!'  My camping days are over, sadly, but I wish you luck.  You could always take a cooler with ice inside--some grocers still stock ice even though it is December.  Can't recall if it is M&S or Waitrose which have a lovely Christmas sandwich--turkey and all the trimmings (or a least a few of them!) so there you go!  We only have 2 guests on Christmas Day because the big family meal is on the Sunday at the brother-in-law's house so our celebration on Christmas will be lovely, relaxed and calm!

• Not much for me yesterday only a few pictures and two are of Walter and will put him here :) 

Sadly upload has stopped so will try again later.

• Walter rail was on the opposite side to the feeding log today and tucked further back in the reeds and water behind, however, on the promise of live mealies and the sight of one being flicked out to him/her  Walter duly obliged much to the thrill of some passing reserve visitors who had never seen a rail before ! 

"Come on Walter ................  you've got people to meet who haven't seen you yet "      !!       ............and out he came

"Too close Walter ................ I've got the 300mm so can you back up a little please as you won't fit full frame ?  "   .............................

"Thanks Walter.............. you are an obliging Rail "      :)    

" Nooo !    you're too close again .................  no worries Walter, I'll bring the Macro lens next time  "

• Lovey set of shots, Hazel. The Rail is a beautiful looking bird, I only ever see them briefly and at a distance.

• Thanks Paul,   it was pretty dark mid afternoon down the wooded pathway and had the ISO set at 2500.   Never thought I'd ever need a macro lens for a water rail  -   will have to ensure I pack it in my rucksack next time ...........  errrr... the lens I mean, not the rail although Walter is already semi adopted by Mike, Jim and I    ha ha       I've told the staff at Leighton Moss his nickname of Walter,   short for Sir Walter Rail-ey   !

• Excellent additions. It can get amazingly dark under the trees. I suppose instead of macro, you could go for detail portrait shots, like just the head or eye. Getting depth of field on that long beak might be an issue Slight smile

"Come on Walter ................  you've got people to meet who haven't seen you yet "

At this rate, they will be in the minority soon!!