Squirrel highway

When I pollarded our unruly Birch trees, I left branches to form a highway, allowing squirrels to cross from one side of our garden to the other without stepping paw on the ground. It was in the forlorn hope that they would not then go over to the bird feeder.

Our neighbours decided to pollard and trim their birch trees, which removed the squirrel highway.  One squirrel still does kamikaze leaps to get from a birch tree in our garden to one in our neighbours's garden. I shall attempt to get a photo of this acrobatic leap.

Having watched it miscalculate one day, miss our neighbour's tree, go splat on all fours in our garden (unhurt) with the most amazing expression on its face, before being chased by our cat, I felt sorry for the blighter, and tied a bit of rope between the two trees; but much lower down.

The kamikaze squirrel still does its leaps, but another, more wiser, squirrel has taken to the rope highway.

It used to have a torrid time, before I doubled up the rope. It couldn't walk upright on a single rope, simply losing its balance and crossing the highway upside down.

I will attempt to photograph the other squirrel in its kamikaze leap.

Any other squirrel or purpose made highways out there?

• Unknown said:

Hello all. Glad you like the photos.  The kamikaze squirrel is a laugh to watch, especially when it mis-judges the leap.  The other squirrels are more sensible, and take the rope highway.

Keep at it Mike.  As you surmised, a nice large gap is needed.  The gap the kamikaze squirrel leaps over is roughly six to eight feet (1.8m to 2.4m) wide, with a vertical displacement of between 18 to 24 inches depending on where it jumps from and is aiming for.

I should be able to get more interesting shots once the leaves drop.  However, my aim is to pollard the tree more. I'd like more light in the garden, especially for the greenhouse.  I'm leaving the oak tree alone as it is too important for wildlife.

You're welcome.

I know I'm attempting the impossible because the gap between the apple tree and fence is only a few, cluttered inches, but that won't stop me trying.

If the squirrels were a good few grams lighter they'd be able to walk the apple tree branches straight on to the fence!