Squirrel highway

When I pollarded our unruly Birch trees, I left branches to form a highway, allowing squirrels to cross from one side of our garden to the other without stepping paw on the ground. It was in the forlorn hope that they would not then go over to the bird feeder.

Our neighbours decided to pollard and trim their birch trees, which removed the squirrel highway.  One squirrel still does kamikaze leaps to get from a birch tree in our garden to one in our neighbours's garden. I shall attempt to get a photo of this acrobatic leap.

Having watched it miscalculate one day, miss our neighbour's tree, go splat on all fours in our garden (unhurt) with the most amazing expression on its face, before being chased by our cat, I felt sorry for the blighter, and tied a bit of rope between the two trees; but much lower down.

The kamikaze squirrel still does its leaps, but another, more wiser, squirrel has taken to the rope highway.

It used to have a torrid time, before I doubled up the rope. It couldn't walk upright on a single rope, simply losing its balance and crossing the highway upside down.

I will attempt to photograph the other squirrel in its kamikaze leap.

Any other squirrel or purpose made highways out there?

• Aw you are so good to the the little blighters Angus, we don't have them up here in Caithness, well I have never seen them.

• Well done Angus, I have seen various ways that squirrels get across obstacles to reach the seed feeders so expect they will easily be able to use your rope bridge.   Apparently they are quick learners so maybe even the kamikaze one will do it soon.

• Unknown said:

When I pollarded our unruly Birch trees, I left branches to form a highway, allowing squirrels to cross from one side of our garden to the other without stepping paw on the ground. It was in the forlorn hope that they would not then go over to the bird feeder.

Our neighbours decided to pollard and trim their birch trees, which removed the squirrel highway.  One squirrel still does kamikaze leaps to get from a birch tree in our garden to one in our neighbours's garden. I shall attempt to get a photo of this acrobatic leap.

Having watched it miscalculate one day, miss our neighbour's tree, go splat on all fours in our garden (unhurt) with the most amazing expression on its face, before being chased by our cat, I felt sorry for the blighter, and tied a bit of rope between the two trees; but much lower down.

The kamikaze squirrel still does its leaps, but another, more wiser, squirrel has taken to the rope highway.

It used to have a torrid time, before I doubled up the rope. It couldn't walk upright on a single rope, simply losing its balance and crossing the highway upside down.

I will attempt to photograph the other squirrel in its kamikaze leap.

Any other squirrel or purpose made highways out there?

I had to chuckle, we have a squirrel highway, though I'm not so sure it's just a highway, more like a battlefield at times....

However, it did remind me of the Classic Ads: Carling Black Label Squirrel Mission Impossible!

Enjoy watching....

• Clever squirrel, he got to his goal in the end, the faces on the Owls!

• Well done Mike, I remember that ad very well!!!!

• One has to grab opportunities when they occur, despite it being about 17:30 and overcast. I pushed these four through FastStone tp brighten them up.

Sizing up the distance.

Geeeeeeeronimo!

I can fly!

Opps, no I can't

• Great capture Angus, he must have been watching too many of those flying Squirrels on Springwatch this year over in Canada:-)

• Unknown said:

One has to grab opportunities when they occur, despite it being about 17:30 and overcast. I pushed these four through FastStone tp brighten them up.

Sizing up the distance.

I can fly!

What brilliant captures Angus.

Now I am jealous.... ;)

But I do have an excuse, while I keep trying to get a photo of a leaping/flying squirrel, the gaps between the branches and fence are nowhere near big enough.

They really are photos to be proud of.

• Thanks for the squirrel photos, I need my regular fix to keep a smile on my face. They are the first thing I look for when we're back in the UK on visits.

• Hello all. Glad you like the photos.  The kamikaze squirrel is a laugh to watch, especially when it mis-judges the leap.  The other squirrels are more sensible, and take the rope highway.

Keep at it Mike.  As you surmised, a nice large gap is needed.  The gap the kamikaze squirrel leaps over is roughly six to eight feet (1.8m to 2.4m) wide, with a vertical displacement of between 18 to 24 inches depending on where it jumps from and is aiming for.

I should be able to get more interesting shots once the leaves drop.  However, my aim is to pollard the tree more. I'd like more light in the garden, especially for the greenhouse.  I'm leaving the oak tree alone as it is too important for wildlife.