A walk in Derbyshire

Decent weather predicted for Derbyshire (White) Peak District area yesterday so packed the camera, rucksack with beef/tomato sarnies, flask of tea, cake and obligatory packet of Pom Bears  lol    and headed off for the start of our walk (5+ miles) parking up at the beautiful village of Hartington.  

Quick pic taken on old iPhone showing Hartington church

From the village we headed across pasture where we watched a Hare scurry across the grass before we ventured on passing through a short track of woodland along a path that joined the River Dove and Beresford Dale,  a picturesque area which meanders slightly through wooded habitat and opens into steep limestone hills either side of the River;   this was an area back in time that mined for Lead and Iron and quarried for Limestone.   

a photo of the Hare which was a scurrying across the pasture -  didn't realise their legs were so long   !    ......

then for some reason it stopped  !      paused a while so I took another photo

an iPhone pic of the area of woodland just as we reach the River Dove

No sooner had we entered the banks of the Dove when we spotted our first Dipper, a favourite bird of ours to see although as is usually the case they tend to opt for the far dark shady banks and lurk at the edges blending into the rocks so you have to wait for them to start dipping in the river !   

It has to be one of the most difficult birds to photograph when it comes to camera settings with high ISO and trying to get enough speed;  sorry, these are the best I could muster.   Was much darker than you could imagine in the heavily shrubby/ wooded river area.

Two Mandarin ducks where in the same area but on the near bank !     Not sure if its male in eclipse, juvenile or female    lol

iPhone quick shot as the 300mm x 2 reach was too close - as you will see in 2nd pic   !

too close but cute !

On to Wolfcote Dale

a group of juvenile Mallards were huddled together like a load of stuffed toys on a bed   lol 

A female Grey Wagtail hunted for insects .....

a sheep baa'd for its Momma who was up on the limestone crag and then clambered up to join her after I took this photo

a very tatty looking butterfly sunned itself

a juvenile Blue Tit foraged from the Alder ?

another dipper, possibly juvenile,  flew along the river landing typically in an obscurred area close to its parent  !

I could hardly pick out the bird between the thicket of ferns, grasses and shrubs  

this was the adult nearby and a little easier to see albeit still in a heavy shaded area requiring high ISO  !

close view ............

I will put these photos up in stages as there are a few more to come yet and don't want to overload you in one go  !!        I have Kestrels to come, more Dipper shots and a few too many photos of a very endearing young Spotted Flycatcher fledgling who stole my heart     lol   

Will upload a few more later.    

• More Dippers are always welcome - one of my favourite birds :-)

• Despite the shady conditions you've captured some lovely shots of the Dippers. Such attractive little birds so a treat for me as I don't get to see them. The shots of the Hare are great too.

It looks like a lovely place for a walk on a summer's day.

• Thanks Stuart and Tony,   I think this area is one of our favourites to visit as it combines a beautiful (fairly easy walk mainly on the flat ! ) with a wonderful array of birds/wildlife in stunning surroundings.    This place has such a huge number of species not only including Dippers but raptors like Peregrines, Buzzards, Kestrels along with other species like Linnets, Redstart, Wheatear, M.Pippit,   and water birds such as Kingfisher, Wagtails.   There is always something interesting to see most times you go and yesterday was no exception especially having a recently fledged Spot-fly at my feet   lol     I have a few too many pics of junior so I may put that on a separate thread and just put a couple of pics up here of it............. 

so to continue .....   more dippers (we saw at least 4 dippers)   these are barely cropped

and now the bird that stole the show - young Spot-fly    :)   almost too close for the focal length of the camera   !    As I say I will put a thread up of this cute little bird as I took a few quick video clips of it too but for now here's two to be going on with.

Cute or what ?    LOL   

We heard Peregrines scream through the air although out of sight of the camera but did see distant Buzzards and Kestrels much closer

pretty distant Buzzard, one of at least 4 in the area

and although the sky was mainly grey by the time we reached Biggin Dale blue sky did open up for the Kestrel which passed overhead

(fill ya boots Wendy   LOL  )      

going from this .................. hard cropped

to this ........barely cropped !

a different Kestrel methinks

and juvenile possibly ?   not sure

It's a fantastic place for raptors !          not a great shot but showing two together

• Great additions, Hazel. Lovely to see the young Dippers as well as the adults. Good to see so many raptors especially the young Kestrel.

• Thanks Tony,  it is a wonderful area to walk;  here's a couple of photos on the old iPhone showing you a little of the area.

• A wonderful collection of birds and scenery--thanks, Hazel!  I can see why the Spotfly youngster captured your heart.  What a cutie!  It was not far from there where we had only our second glimpse of Dippers many years ago.  I'll see if I can hunt down a video my Alaskan birder contact took of a Dipper up there in winter--rather a bit of a difference in temperature to that here in the last few weeks!

• Thanks Ann,  Mike almost had to drag me away from this endearing fledgling as I just sat on the grass bank and watched it hone its skills.   It kept landing near me, totally fearless lol

I look forward to the video if you can find it via your friend.

• Wow, you had a very nice day Hazel, and I would have loved to have seen the young Spot-fly.

• Hi Hazy.  I absolutely love this thread - so much so that I have planned a day out to Hartington with a friend of mine for a bit later this month.  We usually have an annual trip to Dovedale (which - I've looked on the map - is about 8 miles away from Hartington) to  see the Dippers, as we don't get any locally.  However, having seen your thread, we've decided to do a circular walk around Hartington instead this year and hopefully come across a Dipper or too as well as take in all that lovely scenery!  Your photos are lovely, I know how Dippers like to lurk in dark spots).  Whether we shall be lucky enough to find a Flycatcher, who knows, but I've enjoyed looking at yours!

• Thanks Christine,  so glad you are planning a trip to Hartington,  it's a beautiful little village (got renowned cheese shop if you like cheese  ! )

We normally park up at Market Place if we are early enough (limited spaces) and then head towards the start of the path which is to the left side of the public toilets which are opposite side to Charles Cotton Hotel.      This is a rough idea of the route if you want to follow the same walk.

You should see a Dipper on the River Dove as soon as you cross the first wooden bridge and walk a 50 to 100 metres and before you get to the narrow concrete bridge; the others we saw were just at the turn for Biggin Dale.   There will be more hopefully anywhere along the Dove where the water flows faster down rock ledges.    There are lots of birds along the way but the juvenile Spot-Fly  was on the Biggin track just after the very rocky pathway finishes and you go through a wooden gate.     If the bird is still there it will find you   LOL although as it matures it will become less confiding !   This is the area we found Blackcaps last time, the usual woodland birds and as you venture on listen out for the Peregrines, Buzzards, Kestrels overhead.    Other birds we've seen in the past are Common Redstart, Wheatear, Meadow Pipits, Green Woodpecker, Swallows and House Martins and I forgot to say look out for Kingfishers on the River Dove zooming up and down.   

Start of route:     Star is Market Place parking and the arrows start at the public toilets and cut through across the field to the woodland area and towards the River Dove.

(courtesy Google maps/Google Earth)

There is a little gate at the back of the toilet block where you take path to right and head towards the woodland  - path is fairly defined and should be easy to follow;    enter woodland, short walk to a wooden bridge which crosses the river dove,  just keep to the pathway with Dove on your left  and you'll get to a narrow concrete bridge that re-crosses the Dove ;   cross the narrow bridge on your left (which will feel like walking the plank ! )and follow the path through the pasture to the right and you'll continue to follow the River Dove (on your right but sometimes out of sight) and you'll continue to walk until you eventually come across the 3 way signpost for Biggin Dale which will take you left as you leave the river at a right angle so River Dove is behind you.     Just keep following same path which is grassed in some areas just like the path you have come from,  you'll walk over some rocky but not difficult pathway -  you'll pass through large two wooden gates and eventually meet another signpost which will say Hartington or Dale Head;       we take Dale Head and it will bring you to Liffs road where you turn left.    

This is the gate (narrower wooden gate to side of big gate !) you will come out of on to Liffs Road where you walk left as shown in the photo

(courtesy google maps)

Continue along the road straight,  passing and ignoring the junction to Biggin and you will take Highfield Road which runs to the side of a house  - turn in front of the house where you see the car - that is Highfield Road and not their driveway   !

Highfield Road will climb gently and you'll follow to the end where you turn left, heading past the Youth Hostel and back into Hartington Village where you started !         It's around 5 and half miles or so.

Enjoy your day when the time comes, it's a wonderful area and if you are lucky you will have some very nice sightings as it rarely disappoints.