G.S. Woodpecker update, macro style !

• In reply to HAZY:

I didn't know you've got a wooden leg now :) I assume that's why pirates went with parrots instead of woodpeckers!

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:

I didn't know you've got a wooden leg now :) I assume that's why pirates went with parrots instead of woodpeckers!

LOL  Nigel,   I might end up with one if that woodpecker lands on my lap  lol       

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Wonderful!

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to monkeycheese:

More close ups of Mr Great Spotted Woodpecker today

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Wonderful shots, Hazel. On the rare occasions when we get a GSW he’s off if you even try to look out of the window at him.!!

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

lol Paul,  this fine fellow is beyond belief and was almost by my feet today,  you could say just two feet away  lol     He's busy feeding young and taking food back to the nest and female so he's looking for every scrap of food available - including the nuthatch nestlings who he must be able to hear in the stonecrete box;  hopefully they'll remain safe and he certainly can't drill into that box !   It will be a dangerous time for the nutties when they start to grow and jump up to the nest hole ready to take off.  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Your getting some very nice close-ups Hazel.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to James:

More G.S.Woodpecker pics from the last couple of days

Ever wondered how the Woodpeckers are so expert at grabbing insects out of crevices or chicks out of the nest-box ………… look at this tongue which it can extend a long way !

best viewed on full screen to see the very strong tongue and it's finer extension  ! 

this is to show you how close I can sit to where the woodpecker will perch - I know I'm not in the chair but he will come almost to my feet or certainly within a metre as he can't resist live mealies  !      You can just see him on the wooden post.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

That gives a different perspective to having a sharp tongue :)

Nige   Flickr