Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2018

• In reply to HAZY:

Cracking shots of the Large Red Damselfly, Jim. I haven't seen any down here which is unusual.

@Hazel, I've been using the trusty 100-400 mm zoom. It focuses down to about 1.5m so I can stand back and get quite good close-ups.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    I've been using the trusty 100-400 mm zoom. It focuses down to about 1.5m so I can stand back and get quite good close-ups.

That's what I was using yesterday to take the  last set of pics with the 7Dii        It's such a good quality lens and as you say able to focus within close range.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

I've been using the trusty 100-400 mm zoom. It focuses down to about 1.5m so I can stand back and get quite good close-ups.

That's what I was using yesterday to take the  last set of pics with the 7Dii        It's such a good quality lens and as you say able to focus within close range.

[/quote]

I put the 2x TC on mine yesterday to try it, it wont focus at f11 for photos but still focuses lovely for video.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan:

That's interesting Alan as when we were at L.Moss with Jim some time back, he tried connecting my 2x to his 100-400mm and it wouldn't focus as you say but we didn't think about the video function !    

I've parted with my 1.4x (mkiii version)  to give it to my brother in Australia so he can put it on the 70-300mm lens I sent him and it doesn't work properly (soft focus) so I'm wishing I'd kept it  !!     I need to send him my 100-400mm but until we sell the house (eventually))  I can't part with it yet    lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

I find telephoto lenses have distinct advantages for large insects like butterflies and dragons as you don't have to get so close and I think the extra distance means the depth of field may also be greater (but that might be just my impression). However, a good macro shot will generally trump a telephoto shot and may even be more satisfying to do ... but that's just me doing what I like!

Lots of Dragons at LM yesterday, all Broad-bodied Chasers, but they were extremely skittish and wouldn't let me within 3m. There weren't large numbers of Damsels, but there were a few more varieties than I've seen so far, including Azures ...

Common blues ...

I also saw Blue-tails but no photos

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Looks like you had a great day at LM  Nigel,  only about 5 weeks till the meet up there :)  hope you'll be able to get time off work.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:
    However, a good macro shot will generally trump a telephoto shot

I agree with you, Nigel. This is proved by your two excellent shots of the Common Blue. The trouble is you can't always get close enough with a macro lens so have to use a telephoto.

I'm getting quite envious of all the stuff you are all seeing. I don't know why but down here in the warmer (supposedly) south everything is really late. I blame the "Beast from the East".LOL

In order to up my game I went to Greenham Common (near Newbury) of infamous Cruise missile fame. This was taken over by West Berkshire council after the Americans left and has been restored as a public open space and is now managed by the local Wildlife Trust. It's quite a unique habitat of open heathland with a few meres which can be good for dragonflies. However, it was rather disappointing today with very few Odonata so I struggled to photograph anything. The free roaming cattle were enjoying the warm sunny weather and decided to disrupt my activities.

I have at last seen Large Red Damselflies. I rather distant shot but I liked the symmetry of the reflection in the water. They'd obviously just mated and the male was hanging on to make sure the female laid the eggs.

There were a couple of Black-tailed Skimmers whizzing about but would they settle. I'm almost too ashamed to post this but it was the best I could get. It's my first sighting of this species this year.. Hopefully, I'll get better shots as the season progresses

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Lovely set of photos Tony, interesting to hear the latest from Greenham Common - I only remember seeing in on the news with constant protests outside  !!    Good to know it's now a wildlife haven :)

Beautiful and sunny here again so the damselflies were busy producing the next generation .......  must have been at least 3 pairs around our pond area and plants.

Guessing these are Large Red Damselflies ?

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to James:

Yes, indeed they are the Large Reds. Interesting how the male holds on to the female while she is ovipositing. Not all species do this. In the last two photos they are of course mating

I see you used the macro lens and the quality of the photos shows

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream