"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

• Hazel, You are up past your bedtime!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• LOL Ann, I had gone to bed earlier but couldn't sleep - so here I am !! To be honest, I just wanted to prove to Alan I can be up earlier than him ha ha !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• LOL, Hazel! Sorry you couldn't sleep. I'm with you in that the main way I can be up that early is not to go to bed! But this is making me tired--so I'll be off to bed soon! Night, night!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

Thanks Nige and Alan,

Nigel O said:
    I don't think I've seen one all summer. 

to be honest Nige (and Alan),  it's the first time I'd seen a   Great Egret *  since around February time and it was like a bus …… wait for ages and then 3 turn up at once   lol      

* I refuse to refer to them as Great White as it sounds too much like a shark  !!!    this was eating fish too although not enough to fill it up   lol

Complete with lunch in mouth....

If it's any consolation, I too feel calling them a Great White for short, makes it seem like you're referring to sharks....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:

Scarey Starey Cormorant!

Brilliant photo PB, you certainly managed to get nice and close.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• A couple of photos from two days ago;    I'm making the most of photographing the swallows outside our residence before they disappear off to Africa - I sure will miss them.   

Yesterday there were 22 of them on the telecommunications wire;       do they normally gather in larger groups and join other flocks before they fly off ?   

First here's the adult Swallow

getting those wing stretches in, limbering up before that long perilous flight ......

and next one of the juveniles ..........

"I'm watching you Mrs"    .............

narrowing it's eyes at me and the camera - or just nodding off ?     lol

perhaps it was thinking   "she's got those camera settings all wrong"    !!

what little beauties these youngsters are ......... yet to grow their long streamers

copying Mum or Dad doing those stretches !

Regards, Hazel 

• What a lovely set Hazel :o)
  • In reply to HAZY:

Nice to see ... especially the youngsters critiquing your technique!

HAZY said:
    do they normally gather in larger groups and join other flocks before they fly off ?  

I must admit I haven't seen it much over recent years, but when I was a youngster, just as swallows arriving was the sign of summer, I remember that dozens of swallows lining up on the power or telephone lines in the evening was a sign of their imminent departure and that summer was over. Back to the present and just this past week, I've started to see a flock of 50+ over the moors, so the families would certainly seem to be coming together.

Nige   Flickr

• Thanks PB and Nige,
    @ Nige, after seeing a dozen on average numbers seem to have increased slightly here to around 25 so I guess they will choose a bright sunny day to depart. House Martins will also be leaving; it made us chuckle on Saturday evening when we returned home after dark and on entering the courtyard we could hear them chattering away in the nest above our front door and eaves ! I know the Martins make a bit of a poopy mess and you have to be careful entering/exiting the property, I'd rather have them nesting there knowing they have had a successful season and will hopefully return next year. I think our landlord was thinking whether to board off the area above the courtyard to discourage them nesting there in future but if I can at try at least to convince him to limit the work to only the part directly above the front door then my job is done ! Unfortunately, I am not sure we will still be in residence for the HM's return but whilst I am here I'll protect the area from any major work ! He is a very understanding and nice landlord who also appreciates nature and knows about nesting birds and the law so I'm sure he won't do anything too radical. .

Regards, Hazel