"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• The local Reed Warblers are showing exceptionally well this year. I almost always see one whenever I wander past.

Luckily, its beak is already full of beetle, because there's a photobombing (or mad) insect flying straight at it

"I can do impressions, you know. This is my 'Nuthatch'."

There's even a second RW in the background …

This could have been a classic if there hadn't been a reed in the way.

• stunning pics Nige, love that penultimate photo with the RW looking back at you - awwww what a cutie !
  • Amazing Nige, I'd just like to see them like that, let alone take pictures!
  • Always nice to be pleasantly surprised when downloading photos. I didn't realize the moorhen chicks reflection allowed you to see it's feet below the water when I took the photo.

• Thanks

Hazel C said:
    I'd just like to see them like that, let alone take pictures!

There is just one spot I know where they show that well, and it is rather peculiar surroundings - looking at the back of a very small patch of reeds from a gap in the trees/bushes. The RW's like to hunt in the trees as well as the reeds, so it's just a matter of time before one will show and think about crossing the gap. They also cross the path as there is another larger reed bed on the other side. Even so, this year my timing has been so good (read 'lucky') I'm getting them practically on demand!

• I counted 19 Yellow Wagtails on the Somerset levels this morning in different locations, the 2 x SEO's were still around but very distant and many many sedge/reed/cetti warblers. Just 3 Cattle Egrets left now. I also

went to Pilning to see the Teminicks Stint. Only the 2nd one I've ever seen. A good morning for sure.

• Eating my lunch in the car and this swallow lands on the gate about 6-7 metres away and just stares at me.

• I expect it fancied a bit of your sandwiches!
  • No photos this time, just a quick note to say that we’ve been hearing a Tawny Owl calling for several weeks now, but always in the distance. A few nights ago I was awakened at around 2am (not an easy thing to do) by very loud hooting. We looked out of our window towards the dark fields behind the house and saw the silhouette of a Tawny Owl perched on top of the telegraph (telephone?) pole at the bottom of the garden. He continued calling on and off for a few minutes before silently flying away. Just wonderful.!! :-)
  • It's lovely to hear the Tawny Owls and glad you have a local bird which you've also seen at night Paul. We've had Tawny Owls breed nearby each year and I participated in the T.Owl survey a few months back which finished at the end of March. We seem to have a local male Tawny who is then joined in early breeding season by a female and have subsequently heard a juvenile owl some years so good to know we have success in our local area. I often hear the male in particular hooting at night or dusk, as early as 6pm and as late as 2.30am. We've even nicknamed him Oscar LOL