"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• I love to see the Yellowhammers, between you and Alan you are putting on a great show Paul. Lovely shot of the cirl bunting too.
  • Had a rare day off work yesterday so went to a local marsh early morning. This little guy came out of the reeds and posed for 20 seconds before he retreated.

• I don't normally but that is a good idea.
  • Unknown said:

Not seen any migrant Chiffchaffs, yet, Alan, let alone any singing.

I'm with you, Paul, the local Jays are extremely secretive and it's only at Leighton Moss that I occasionally get close.

HAZY said:
    we sit under a thick dark blanket of cloud with rain and hailstone in-between

This is what greeted me on my way out this morning - an imminent but rather spectacular hail storm over a local reservoir. The two gulls are Lesser Black-backs by the way

In fact, I don't think I've taken a bird photo all week (a part from the gulls above) with the incessant wind and storms but I always think that's when to go and do landscape photography (no blue skies here please!) Earlier, while exploring migrant hotspots on the moors in readiness for next month I also got this stormy shot of a local landmark in the West Pennine Moors. It's only a stone's throw from where Flycatchers (both), Cuckoos, and even Ring Ouzels are supposed to stop over, so fingers crossed!

Both shots are obviously heavily done in Photoshop, to recreate traditional B&W darkroom styles.

Maybe I'll get some birds next week!

Cracking B&W pics Nige, edited or not, and I especially like the first one, where you can see what looks like a heavy shower descending.

• Lots of nice Reed Buntings, Goldfincher and Alan

Michael B said:
    Cracking B&W pics Nige

Thanks, Mike. Most of my landscapes seem to end up B&W now - hours of fun in Photoshop, which keeps me out of mischief!

• Lovely sets of photos Alan, the Reed Buntings are really handsome birds; with the Spring equinox and sunshine today we also saw Reed Buntings, Chiffchaffs, Linnets and singing Dunnocks everywhere ! Just need to see a major return of the warblers and then we'll feel like spring has sprung lol
  • Very distant photos of a Peregrine Falcon taken today at 3pm, had to use the 2x Convertor to get the reach. It stayed for a few minutes then flew off.

• Mrs Mally playing hide and seek by the garden pond ......

One of half a dozen rooks which were in Tatton Park yesterday

• Unknown said:
    Very distant photos of a Peregrine Falcon

It may have been far away but your big lens has captured it beautifully. Stunning bird.