"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• bramble67 said:
    A possible future project

Here you go Sarah !!     This was 4 years later - it looks even more mature now but I haven't taken photos recently.

I think one of the best threads for inspiration on pond building is Paul A's  - it's a really great post, lot of good step by step detail and a very fun read too !    HERE         

To be honest Sarah, I have seen water features in the shape of a simple wooden barrel to one that was like something belonging to a country estate (lake)with 3 gigantic waterfalls but I don't think it really matters about the size of a feature as each in their own right brings in the birds and wildlife so all you have to do is build it to suit your garden and "they will come"     !!   

• Had a walk along the canal yesterday for the bugs but this time I also took the long lens and well spotted by my mate big Jim.
    Parent looking for worms and then taking them back to their nest and what do you get back for giving the young a good meal.

• Thanks so much, will read in detail later

• Nice shots, Jim

I have one (or two) coming regularly to the tree at the foot of the garden, so I think there must be nest somewhere nearby.

• Thanks Nige, I hope you can get some pictures of them.

• Fantastic photo captures Jim, so nice to see the mis.thrush with it's young :)

• Lovely shots of the Mistle Thrushes Jim, great to see them doing well with chicks.

I went out this morning to see if I can catch up with the Whitethroat, I can't seem to get enough of this bird haha. I must say I wasn't expecting much because it was very windy today and when I got there, there wasn't a lot of bird song and all seemed quite bar the wind. I decided to stick around and after an hour or so, the Whitethroat showed himself from afar. 

After watching him for a bit, he decided he'd like to come closer to pose for the camera.

Not a super flattering shot but this one shows just how windy it was, it does however highlight how long his tail is.

I also managed to see him do a song flight, something that I didn't know it would do so I learnt something new today. Its song flight was rather low, just hovering above the perch it was going to land on afterwards, unlike the Skylark's which was really high up in the air.

• James G said:

Had a walk along the canal yesterday for the bugs but this time I also took the long lens and well spotted by my mate big Jim.
    Parent looking for worms and then taking them back to their nest and what do you get back for giving the young a good meal.

Brilliant photos of the nest and chicks.

• I've been a little out of action the last week, health and other issues, but I did manage to snap a couple of photos of the garden pond.

And not forgetting the apple blossom

• @Jim, cracking shots of the Mistle Thrush and feeding youngsters too.

@WE, well done with the Whitethroat shots. Haven't seen or heard one this year.

@Mike, sorry you've been a bit poorly. A gurgling pond fountain and apple blossom is good therapy.