"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• Stunning landscape, and well captured Bob, and the deer aren't too shabby either!! Think I need to take a trip North again :o)
  • It is lovely, so many gritstone edges and the different moors laying inbetween. I keep thinking of trying to do all the edges in one day but I'm not sure I have the stamina,
  • Unknown said:
    It is lovely, so many gritstone edges and the different moors laying inbetween. I keep thinking of trying to do all the edges in one day but I'm not sure I have the stamina,

Its a good (and pleasant) days walk around the edge of Big Moor and White Edge Moor if you take in Barbrook Reservoir.

However, crossing the moor from Stoke Flats to White Edge is a bog fest, so it's wisest to walk to the road and the Grouse Inn, then head back up to the moor and walk via Lady Cross around to Barbrook.

There used to be highland cattle on the Barbrook Lady Cross side, I don't know if they're still there?

• No cattle there as far as I know Mike. The highland cattle are back on the adjacent Baslow Edge which is great to see. I do prefer Blacka Moor I think though for the deer, especially close to the air vent for Totley tunnel and above it. It's a smaller area and they are a lot closer and more intimate plus you get a whole abundance of animals like foxes, kestrels and buzzards coming up from the woodland below. To be honest I'm just happy sitting anywhere watching

• Unknown said:

No cattle there as far as I know Mike. The highland cattle are back on the adjacent Baslow Edge which is great to see. I do prefer Blacka Moor I think though for the deer, especially close to the air vent for Totley tunnel and above it. It's a smaller area and they are a lot closer and more intimate plus you get a whole abundance of animals like foxes, kestrels and buzzards coming up from the woodland below. To be honest I'm just happy sitting anywhere watching

I'd heard the highland cattle were back on Baslow, which I understand are kept by a different farmer.

I've not ventured on to Blacka Moor, though I have seen the deer on White Edge, and I know exactly what you mean about just sitting and watching. I was guilty of that all too often when out on the hills and moors, sometimes I had to cut short my planned route.

Once on the Carneddau, I was not only awestruck by the views, but whilst eating lunch, the Carneddau ponies ventured inquisitively towards me. Time was pressing on, but I'm sure if I had another 20-30 minutes, we'd have had a proper acquaintance.

But I wouldn't change what I've done.

Too many folk have no time for nature, and that's probably why things are the mess they are.

• Managed to get to Leighton Moss yesterday. I haven't worked up the photos yet, but this is worthy of note ... the view that greeted me coming off the boardwalk onto the causeway.

You're not supposed to meet swans swimming down the footpath! Fortunately, I had seen the notices so I was prepared and had my wellies. Later, when the sun came out, looking back towards the road

The paths to Grizedale were flooded from the Skytower all the way to the hide. The hides themselves are open (except Lower which is still closed for other reasons). To use sensible measurements that people will understand, levels on both paths were up about 0.7 of a welly or 1.2 of a boot. In other words, easily wadable in wellies but those in walking boots could only access Lillians hide. There were no problems at the estuary hides. The bonus was that the Beardies showed well but you didn't have to fight the crowds to watch them! I'll post some photos when I have worked them up.

(Disclaimer: water levels may fall (or rise) depending on the weather Slight smile)

• I'd heard LM was flooded but ankle depth not too bad lol I love it when the swans join us on the footpath - if it gets any worse maybe the bitterns will join in !! Look forward to the rest of the pics; will be nice to see the Beardies again; can't wait to get there in a couple of weeks time - with my wellies !
  • And don't forget your canoe or kayak, Hazel!
    Lovely pics, Nigel. Like Hazel, I look forward to the rest.
  • If it carries on raining Hazel you'll need waders!
  • Apparently, at its worst, even wellies weren't enough, but levels were slowly dropping and many felt like kids splashing through puddles! I even found a small newt eft swimming about and trying to hide under my boot when I stopped to show someone else. Of course, if you forget your wellies the alternative would be to wade through in sandals and shorts!!