Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread

• In reply to tony:

It looks imposing in it's "cage"! Nice shots
  • In reply to tony:

Tony T said:
    Hi Mike, we've had newts in the pond since I dug it out about 20 years ago and quite often pull them out when trying to clean the pond but I had though the adults would have moved out to settle down for the winter. we get 3/4 different types of damsel/dragonflys over the pond during the year.
    Well I've now got rid of my crutches as of Thurs physio appt and now have a walking stick but to be honest feel well enough not to use it much but am chasing my consultant to see if I can drive again, its been 6 weeks now.
    I have never tried the Bushnell on vid, I will set it up tonight on vid to see what its like.

I'd love to have newts in our pond, which is almost 20 years old, but I guess because we have fish and there's a net to stop predators taking the fish, it hampers their access, along with frogs, toads, dragons & damsels.

Apart from newts, all have inhabited the pond before we put fish in.

If you want to see how good the video function is, have a look at my YouTube channel: "Mike Beaumont YouTube"

Also have a look at Wendy Barter's YouTube channel, she has some really good ones of hedgehogs that visit her garden.

I know there are others, but their names escape me.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to tony:

Tony T said:

This is more odds than anything else, there is a sods in that there will be no roof tours.

These are pictures of Ickworth House outside Bury St Edmunds where they are renewing the roof of the Rotunda over the next 12 mths. We've been watching the scaffolding build over the past few weeks, as its a good place for a walk for my rehab post hip operation. Last visit we timed it to see the roof scaffold being lifted by the 2nd tallest carne in the UK. Also an opportunity for a first use of my new Canon EOS90D with 18-135mm lens. As can be seen it was a very grey day with a very watery sun.

How are you finding the Canon 90D?

I'm asking for a friend, who is looking at upgrading from the Canon 1200D, so lens compatibility won't be an issue.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Paul A:

Paul A said:

A Grey Heron from a wet, grey morning .

Lovely photo Paul.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to tony:

Tony T said:

Some shots of a Green Sandpiper taken back in Aug at Holme NR on N Norfolk coast.

Lovely photos of the Green Sandpiper Tony.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:

A couple from Arne today

The web itself was about 9 inches across, and the trees the support strands were attached to were about 6 feet apart!

I do like the photo of the spider

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Mike, I've only had the eos90d a week so still playing around with settings but pleased with results so far. It seems pretty quick in focusing with a 45 cross-type AF points with multi controller so good in low light. Has 32.5mp APS C CMOS sensor which improves detail and fires up to 10fps.
    My old 100-400mm mk1 fits as it takes both EF/EF-S lens mounts so yes it's all good so far. Canon have a few packages on offer at present but it's not in the current cash back promo. The new lens with it now has IS which is helpful and it has a good size fully twistable screen so it can be folded back into the body for use and then folded back around to protect it when not in use. I compared with the EOS80D & a couple of others and thought for money best option & offered a better specification.

KR
    Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• In reply to Mike B:

Mike, a couple of pics from todays outing taken from the car. The first is the original shot and the second is a greatly cropped version of the same shot a Mistle Thrush I think, taken with the EOS90D & 18-135mm lens at full zoom. 

Just to give you an idea of the its performance for your friend.

Personally I'm quite pleased with the results.

KR
    Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• A few from the weekend. Nice to get relatively close to a couple of buzzards, young male red deer and an attempt at macro on a red admiral on ivy on a country lane (noticed the ivy full of insects recently).

• In reply to Bob S:

Always nice to get close to perched Buzzards, as opposed to the more usual in-flight Beautiful deer and flutterby, too

Bob S said:
    noticed the ivy full of insects recently

Ivy is one of the later flowering plants (and less obvious), so great for insects in September and October as there isn't much else around still providing nectar. Always worth investigating if you want more subjects for macro work.

Nige   Flickr