"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• Thanks Gaynor and Tony,

Unknown said:
    It's been quite a warm and sunny day down here but I suspect it's not going to last.

Weekend looks a bit mixed but there's already an autumn feel to the weather with leaves starting to drop.    Sometimes I think the light on a cold January morning is better for photography …… so roll on winter   LOL      Don't mind autumn this year as we have no leaf raking to do any more :)    Wink

• Great to get the egrets. I don't think I've seen one all summer. 

Unknown said:
    Sometimes I think the light on a cold January morning is better for photography …… so roll on winter   LOL

Winter light is generally accepted as best for photography, well, landscapes certainly. The rule of thumb I grew up with was never take landscapes between 10am and 4pm in Summer, but you can shoot all day in Winter because the sun never gets too high, so shadows give depth and the colours look warmer and the cold air means less haze and clearer photography. I think the benefits apply equally well to wildlife photography, too.

• Thanks Nige and Alan,

Unknown said:
    I don't think I've seen one all summer. 

to be honest Nige (and Alan),  it's the first time I'd seen a   Great Egret *  since around February time and it was like a bus …… wait for ages and then 3 turn up at once   lol      

* I refuse to refer to them as Great White as it sounds too much like a shark  !!!    this was eating fish too although not enough to fill it up   lol

• Their green eyes are certainly striking
  • Unknown said:
    I refuse to refer to them as Great White as it sounds too much like a shark  !!!   

I understand but I'm afraid that I'm exactly the opposite. I prefer the original name, especially when referring to a bird in view or a photo as no-one can possibly get a Shark confused with an Egret and, for me, it's part of the fun. After all, few people suggest Common Blue is unacceptable when it applies to both Damselflies and Butterflies, or Common Green (Shieldbugs and Grasshoppers) and I suspect many others, too. The latin name is there for those who absolutely need to avoid confusion, although not so memorable perhaps. Mind you, I also absolutely refuse to use the horribly fashionable Reedlings for Bearded Tits.

• I had a look to see if the Spotted Flycatcher's were still around and if I could get a better photo. Fortunately, on the way, I passed someone who told me exactly where they were. Yes, there were two chasing each around in the same tree and luckily, one volunteered to pose for me.

• Awww, what a little beauty that Spot-fly is; photos are wonderful Nige.
  • LOL Ann, I had gone to bed earlier but couldn't sleep - so here I am !! To be honest, I just wanted to prove to Alan I can be up earlier than him ha ha !!