"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• One from today, a bit odd looking which I think is down to the bright sun (no camera shenannigans). I mentioned last year I thought there were kestrel nesting in a tree in the valley and never found out where. Today, whilst sitting under the tree the male and female landed nearby and were quite vocal. I moved on and managed to spot the female fly in to a hole. I think the babies are hatched as whilst sat under the tree I kept hearing odd noises from above.

• Excellent shots of the Cetti's. I'm not setting much more than glimpses so far this year, although I've had plenty of those.
  • A very nice spot of the nesting Kestrel.
  • Thanks Nige. I did move off and the photos are with the P900 on full optical zoom, this an uncropped photo from the same distance. I find it hard sometimes to decide how intrusive you can be, especially when nesting. Had a few looks like this to start with and then seemed OK and looking around still alert.

• A few from the last couple of days before the thunderstorm !   heavy rain again at the moment.

The Jay was eating the duck food ..............    I've kibbled the whole nuts although the occasional one misses the blender blades.

Jackdaws are not one to miss out on a free feed ..........

the Magpies are looking fabulous at the moment

always on the scrounge ......................    

the drake and female mallards tend to come in separately these days -  they are both quite comfortable now and don't move far away when I go to put their mixed seed out

You've gotta love these little wrens,  they are so darn cute :)       this is Dinky

the robin with the dud leg/foot is doing really well, manages to live a normal bird life thank goodness and think it is paired up

• Very nice set Hazel, and like you I just love the Wrens, first time I have seen your Robin with the bad leg but it look like its doing ok.

I have got a little friend who comes down to me for mealworms it must be the same one from last year because he has just started to do this i have not been putting food out for him but as soon as he see's me going out of the front door he comes down and lands on the fence so I go back in and got the tub of meal worms out and hold it on the fence he jumps over each upright and takes one or two out while I am holding the tub so it a couple of days i will see if he will take them from my hand if he does i will get a movie of him :)

• Lovely pics of all the birds Hazy, the Magpie is looking really good as you say and also the Jay and Jackdaw, I love the glossy feathers. Glad to hear the Robin is surviving and may even have a mate now, it's marvelous how they carry on with the impediments we see so often.
  • That Magpie does look remarkably … pristine is the about the best work I can think of. It's almost got a mini ruff
  • What a dreadful day with storm Hannah passing through so had to view through a rain soaked window.    The Jays always put on a good show when it comes to squawking in the rain    lol

they were grateful for the kibbles/suet/fatcake mix whilst the little birds had the same plus live mealies in their covered guardian tray.

their crest goes up when they are vexed with something,  in this case he/she was getting bossed off the food by the other Jay so had to take a back seat

then it was bossed off by a Magpie    lol      the tail was spread out in annoyance ......

even the suet pellets got wet and stuck together !

the garden has come to life with this recent heavy rain ............ Japanese Acers, Choisya, miniature ornamental cherry, Heucheras all looking fantastic

and my favourite pick taken through the window ....................    soggy-kins  ............... cute eh ?     lol

• You have had a very wet day Hazel, sorry to make you jealous, we had a lovely sunny day with, for once not much wind! Got all the grass cut, with a little help from hubby! Our walk propelled mower had lost its drive and is in the mender, was meant to be back, but when we dropped it off there were at least 25 waiting for repair! So, it all had to be cut with the small electric mower we have for the little bit at the back, oh my it's not easy to manoeuvre a hundred meter extension cable on a reel, to the right, to the left. The mower actually cut well as it is so light to work with but I do hope the other one is back from the menders next week! Sorry I digressed from your lovely photos. Poor Jays, they did look awfully wet and were sporting some wonderful hair and feather fashion problems!