"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• Mmm, could you put something on top of the dome and around the base of the pole, so the birds won't/can't stand on it? Thinking on the lines of sticky Velcro or the like?

• I dunno, get snowed under with work for a while, and when I finally get time to get back onto the forums summat 'orrible has happened to the interface.  Nice in many ways, probably brilliant for mobile/tablet users (I wouldn't know as I don't own a mobile), but a bit of a surprise to old duffers like me wedded to my laptop.

Here are some from my Saturday stomp around the Manor farm restoration. I have learnt that the finish date has been pushed back to the end of 2019. Not surprising, really, given how much they have left to do. The local residents are relieved that the end is in sight, having put up with a couple of decades of noise and dust due to gravel extraction.

Hmmm, that's a surprise. The upload didn't make the photos fit the available space.  I don't want to load large images as they are not web friendly.

I have edited this post to make the images bigger.  I noticed that the application caches the names of images uploaded, I guess per session. I had two sets of photos named Swan 1.jpg.  This application would not load the second image, as it had the first cached.

Fiddling about with the Insert dimensions only partially works.  Shame, there is a CSS/HTML property which will allow a HTML element to fill the available space.

Anyway, the birthday fairy brought me an early present.  A fast SD Card for my DLSR.

I discovered my old card had a read speed of 30 MB/sec. I couldn't find a write speed but I reckon it was between 10 and 20 MB/Sec.

My new card has a read speed of 100 MB/Sec and a write speed of between 80 and 100 MB/sec. Yes!

I tried it out with fast continuous shoot. The camera buffer did fill up, but it took longer to do so. When I stopped shooting, it emptied in about five seconds, rather than the 30 to 60 seconds with the old card.

Another big silly grin on my face.

Now all I have to do is keep saving my pennies to get a decent bit of glass to put on the front of my camera. Problem is, I do like the Tamron lens.

OK, off to find out how the rest of this new interface works.  The first change is for the Reply button to a reply to be changed to post. It's too confusing with it set to Reply as I am not sure what it is replying to.

After posting this, I noticed I had a notification. Read the thing. It informed me I was a 'Discussion Starter 1'.  YUK. I don't like that.

• I see the new interface is causing a bit of a ruckus.

Some swans from my mid morning stomp around the Manor farm restoration.  Regretfully, no sign of the Peregrine falcon.

That seems to work. Set the dimensions to 640 x blank before uploading.

• Cracking pics of the deer Angus.

• These Black-headed Gulls beat the Red Kites to the scraps on this cold morning.

It's amazing what they can stuff down (bones included) in a short space of time.

• Nice captures,   is that the first time you've seen them in your garden Tony ?    We had a BHG land once about 3 or 4 years ago.

• is that the first time you've seen them in your garden Tony ? 

No, but only in the winter. They come over from Dinton Pastures which is about 3 miles away. I occasionally get a LBB Gull and rarely a Herring Gull.

• Then I expect a photo of the Ferruginous Duck in your garden next time  LOL   

• Ha ha, well you never know, it's only 3 miles away.

I dragged one of my B-h Gull pics to see what the size was to fit the space available. I think it was 711 px. I reckon if they would increase the default width to 640 px and leave the height open that might do. It would mean that a lot of people would not need to enlarge the pic (unless they wanted to). I think Bob may have said something similar but not sure where it was.

• Ha, ha, you lot!  Nice to have a bit of light relief!