Beautiful Butterflies 2018

• In reply to Noisette:

Thanks, Hazel in the Gironde.  This site says 'first defined by Linnaeus' with type locality Algeria:  www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php .  But why call it cleopatra?  Or did he simply record it due to usage of 'Cleopatra' preceding his recording?  Or not?

Kind regards, Ann

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

We went away to the Pyrenées again recently & came back with a new species for us, its very similar to Brimstone, a Cleopatra,

I tried getting photos in flight to get it's orange patch on the front wing

I think the pic of the butterfly in flight is a superb one, especially as they're not easy to photograph in flight.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Beautiful Cleopatra, Noisette.  What a fab spot.

Delighted to see a Clouded yellow today

CinJ

Cin J

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    I think the pic of the butterfly in flight is a superb one, especially as they're not easy to photograph in flight.

Thanks Mike, it was more by luck than judgement, there were quite a few rejects & I also had my old camera & Tamron zoom as my Nikon macro has died again. Good old Tamron, worth it's weight in gold!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Germain:

Germain said:

Beautiful Cleopatra, Noisette.  What a fab spot.

Delighted to see a Clouded yellow today

CinJ

Is that Germain that did the butterfly surveys in the Channel Islands ? If it is, lovely to hear from you again! How were your counts this year? Do keep posting & sending us pics like this one!

EDIT Just noticed the C in J, must be Caroline in Jersey, what a dumbo I am!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Yes it's m

e. Still heavily involved with butterfly surveys.  Its been an odd year, it looked as though it was going to be excellent and then we actually went too hot and into drought but we have had some cracking migratory visitors and a successful breeding of Swallowtails - which is very exciting - and a hope that there could be the potential for recolonisation - hopefully this time the wild carrot and fennel will not be chopped down in error!  

Here is a little treat.  Back at the start of June I was in the UK for a training course and on the way back home I went to my new favourite hunting spot which was full of all sorts of goodies.  We don't have these in Jersey ... I'm sure Small Blues are probably under recorded 

Cin J

Cin J

• In reply to Germain:

Nice find Caroline,  I believe Kidney Vetch is their favourite plant of choice although that's not the one in the photo methinks  !    

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

That's odd ... was so busy looking at the fly that I missed the butterfly! Lol  Got there in the end though!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Wonderful find Caroline, they are very rare here, we've been hunting for years in our area, but there are 1 or 2 known places for them. Our butterfly numbers seemed to be down all year, too wet & then too hot & dry!  

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Good find, Caroline. Are you prepared to disclose the place where you saw it or is it a closely guarded secret.

I saw my first ones ever, also in June, over at College Lake in Bucks which is a BBOWT reserve. They are so tiny I almost missed them.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream