Amphibiens & Reptiles 2018/2019

It took me ages to find this one https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/110320.aspx?pi2132219858=2#838911 so thought I'd start a new one. I had a couple of newts larking around the moth trap towards the end of november, one of them had what looks like a woodlouse

& a green frog too from October

Anyone had any others recently?

• Managed to finish cleaning out the pond today after catching the smaller pair of Goldfish & filtering all the remaining water which turned up further surprise of another two fish fry in addition to the one I already knew whas there ... total of four!  Also discovered that the two largest Frogs had legged it leaving just the smaller one which I temporarily rehoused in a pot of pond plants ... set up a fresh pot for the fry aerated by very small pond pump, they need to be a bit bigger before they can join the others ...

Was a great deal of hard but enjoyable work & starting the colder months off with clean water & filtration pump ... boy was it a mess!!

• Well done Wendy,  as you say, hard work but satisfying when you find these little beauties;   they look very happy in their temporary tank and will be able to fend better for themselves once they have grown.

• A bit strange to see such tiny beings aitch, first time in my  life but very fascinating, just hope they survive!

• I altered the title of this thread but now find I can't use "Rich Formatting" on it. Bizarre!
  • Ah, worked now!

We had our first lizard in the garden today, just poking its nose out

There wasn't a lot on last years thread so thought we could run it for another year!

• Lovely sighting of the lizard Hazel, weather feels quite mild here in UK for mid February with plenty of sunshine today. Jim was saying that someone saw a Comma butterfly newly emerged at Leighton Moss which sounds amazingly early for time of year. Another record is that the pair of Mallards just flew in 15 mins ago to our pond - 6 weeks earlier than normal !!
  • I did see a lizard in january on a wall in the village, it's certainly been a mild winter. The coldest night was the only one we went away on in November. It was generally dull, but lots of sun here for the last few days has meant I've been in the garden & seen flowers on the Snapdragons & Osteospermum. Amazing!
  • Nope ... looking out daily for signs that my frogs may have made it through Winter, no frogs spawn yet!
  • On 14th Feb I posted .............***looking out daily for signs that my frogs may have made it through Winter, no frogs spawn yet!***

Well ... yippee!!

Last night Mick came in to say he'd seen two Frogs in our goldfish pond ... went out with cam, saw a biggie & a smaller one, cam battery died & whilst I was changing battery the biggie one nicked off!!!

Checked tonight & one was showing but only a rustle of grasses where other had disappeared!!

Went out again a bit later & bingo!!!

Of course, have no idea of sexes, presume appearance of spawn may settle the issue?

Thrilled to have them, maybe they overwintered from my brood lasy year?

• Seem to be making regular nocturnal appearances but no close hugging or spawn yet!