All about Insects 2018

• In reply to Noisette:

Good pics H, proper 'alien' looking ... bet that tickled your neck, got the legs for it! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Wow, very nice Hazel.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

We had Conehead Mantis turn up in the house today, I think it came in with the firewood, it started on my neck & I flicked it off (not knowing what it was) but luckily didn't hurt it, so after a crawl up my sleeve I put it on the door handle for a photo, it then went on the log-bag & finished on the curtain. Quite an adventure.  After the photo session I popped it in the barn on the wood not destined for burning this year!

They certainly are a very odd looking insect.

What a fascinating capture and such brilliant photos.

I did a bit of Googleology, it's not native to this country, typically from Spain and Portugal.

However, it seems you can buy them, so my guess offs, either it's come into the UK via a cargo shipment or escaped from someone's insect collection.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    I did a bit of Googleology, it's not native to this country, typically from Spain and Portugal.

Ah, fooled you there, I live in France & they come up as far as us (halfway up) but not much further!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

1 down 9 to go Hazel :)

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to James:

James G said:

1 down 9 to go Hazel :)

???

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Cool Mantis!

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• In reply to Stuart Vine:

You never know what's lurking in the woodshed. I've never heard of a Conehead Mantis, I'm only familiar with the Preying variety. What is their life cycle - do they overwinter?

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to Noisette:

You caught Mike out so nine more people to go :)

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

Ah, fooled you there, I live in France & they come up as far as us (halfway up) but not much further!

[/quote]

You certainly did catch me out there.

As a double whammy, if I'd checked your profile, I'd have seen the chance that you were not in the UK!

LOL

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler