All about Insects 2018

• In reply to Paul A:

You are a star PA ... regular entomologist!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:

Googleologist.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Much better at it than me for sure!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Paul A:

Paul A said:

Googleologist.!! :-)

[/quote]

:-D

However did we manage without Google?

Oh, hang  on, I recall we had libraries and books....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

But it all took so much longer Mike!

Last ditch stand for ID's ... calling all Googleologists & reference book owners ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Rather impressive but most unwelcome Ichneumon wasp (Ophion obscuratus)

easily 30mm not including antennae

This mozzie? moonlighting as mobile phone mast

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

That is an impressive wasp. Still not seen any of the all orange Ichy things, though I have seen quite a few black and orange ones this year.

Something I don't see often: a Backswimmer the other way up climbing out of the water.

It can't be fully ID'd from this photo, but fabulous red eyes! And how you normally see them

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Is it a another name for a water boatman Nige?

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to James:

James G said:
    Is it a another name for a water boatman Nige?

I think water boatman is often used for a group of species that look very similar, and until recently was the only one I knew but apparently it depends on Lesser- or Greater-. Now, the biologists are now trying to differentiate the terms to avoid confusion. As far as I understand, in the UK, water boatmen (also lesser water boatmen or Corixa sp.) don't swim on their backs and they are herbivorous, whereas backswimmers (also greater water boatmen or Notonecta sp.) swim upside down and are insectivorous. The photo is one of the Notonecta sp. and so it is more accurately a backswimmer by that definition. All the fun of trying to ID the little critters when you photograph them, eh :)

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

You have just reminded me Nige that back on 20th August I took my Niece & her two boys to my local reserve for pond-dipping session where, amongst other things, we came across a backswimmer similar to yours ... we flipped it into a spoon of water to see the other side

Have to say that us adults enjoyed it much more than the boys ... havedn't ID'd mine yet either!

EDIT:  Just read on Nature spot ... 'There are four UK Notonecta species and all look broadly similar'

Yours could be N.maculata with those large red eyes ... mine looks like N.glauca?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr