All about Insects 2018

• In reply to WendyBartter:

A Black sexton beetle perhaps? Suggested to me by the orange tips of antennae. No idea how reliable that is as a method of ID but it looks reasonable! Other photos of Sexton beetles sometimes show mites as well. I guess the beetles are good transport from corpse to corpse.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Thanks Nige, agree on Sexton beetle, have been reading that these could be Clover mites hitching a free ride ... maybe they didn't reckon on a swimming lesson though! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

I saw my first Volucella zonaria today but couldn't get a photo. It was much bigger than I expected.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Nice one Tony,  I've yet to see one.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

This incredibly tiny (3mm) flying thingy came off Bramble leaf I was preparing for various caterpillars ... any ideas??  I know you all like a challenge! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

WendyBartter said:

This incredibly tiny (3mm) flying thingy came off Bramble leaf I was preparing for various caterpillars ... any ideas??  I know you all like a challenge! Lol

Fabulous photo.

I'm no expert, in fact, I couldn't be further from an expert, but a wild guess, juvenile stonefly

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Looks a possibility Mike but completely new to me ... not seen any more since!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr