All about Insects 2018

• In reply to Noisette:

Thanks H, think it's the first adult I've ever noticed in the wild, plenty of larvae encountered though & did have one emerge from pupation in a pot but not as colourful as this one!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

So yesterday when I was at Saltholme, I put Nige's advice into action while I was photographing butterflies to see if I could flush any grasshoppers out, the tricked did work but they never stood still when flushed and hopped away. But, it did mean that it's a technique that worked and it was just a matter of finding an obliging one. However, it was not meant to be yesterday.

So we were leaving the house this morning for some groceries, my sister went out the door first and before long, she shouted for me to get my macro out. So I did and to my surprise, a grasshopper was literally by my doorstep on our lawn!

• In reply to Wildlife Endeavours :

A few little critters...

I got a better photo of the tiny Common Groundhopper

I said I'd look for more craneflies … this one was calmly hanging from 3 legs, even though it looks like its using all 6.

I rarely see Great Diving Beetles and then found 2 in a pool barely bigger than a puddle. Difficult to photo in water, but had a go

Sphaerophoria sp. of hoverfly

This is definitely an Ichneumon wasp … but no idea which one!

I originally thought these were pollen covered bees on the Himalayan Balsam, but when I got home I realised I'd photographed a wasp. It was done with really close wide-angle lens for a different perspective.

Amazing what you can find in the undergrowth! 

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Brilliant photos Nige

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Agree with Mike, superb photos Nigel, nice variety too.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Nothing so nice here today as I discovered this (belongs on Moth thread too!) ... this paracitising Fly hatched from egg case which came from poor Cabbage moth pupa ... knew something was wrong when I saw a tell-tale brown stain from pupa so kept it to see what monster would emerge!!

Pre-pupating Cabbage moth larva

Fly egg case from destroyed Cabbage moth pupa

The 'orrible Fly

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

That looks like what I call a flesh fly Wendy, nice pictures.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• In reply to James:

Amazing anything ever comes out as expected with so many parasitic flies and wasps around!!

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nature can be so cruel at times, but that's what helps to keep the balance.

Well, that is until mans greed intervenes and throws the whole ecological balance out....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

I thought it would be easy to ID this Beetle but blowed if I can find an exact match???  Estimated length roughly 25-30mm ... interesting to note that the two red mites didn't get washed off, what are they?