All about Insects 2018

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    Anyone into ID-ing Craneflies??

Possibly one of the few things more difficult than moths that is! I think there are some that are easily ID'd but not many. However, I was only thinking today that I don't have many pics of craneflies and I should get some. I found an example of the UKs biggest not long ago (10cm across!) but couldn't get a decent photo.

I did get this Meadow Grasshopper

I've only seen Common Green ones up to now this year, so it was nice to find something different

And it was amazing how many Pondskaters there were on the river, all amassed in every spot of sunlight. I saw several flocks, each in their 00's. I've never seen so many - the whole river was alive!

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:

]Anyone into ID-ing Craneflies??

Possibly one of the few things more difficult than moths that is

That's why I put it out for general consumption! Lol

Nigel O said:
    I found an example of the UKs biggest not long ago (10cm across!)

Just so pleased it wasn't at mine ... still not that keen to have them around me!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

@ Nige, thank you for the tips of getting close views of grasshoppers! Looking at your photos, you can definitely tell that you method is probably the best way, as I for sure won't be able to spot them from just walking about and just looking for them. Also, lovely shot of the Pondskaters, it's always incredible when I think about how they could move so effortlessly and speedy on the surface of the water.

• In reply to Wildlife Endeavours :

Have had some interesting visitors to local NR moth traps during July ...

This one was quite tiny

A big beastie

In between size

Never seen this before

Inundated with these, only very small

Quite lively so is through glass

Reminds me of Kung-fu fighter

Masses of these too ... ID required

This is their normal speed ... whirling dervishes!