All about Insects 2018

• In reply to Mike B:

Still not many birds around, at least in photographic range, but a few more weird things!

An unidentified Ichneumon wasp

You've got to love leafhoppers, as they just look like they should appear in some SciFi film - this is the Green Leafhopper (Cicadella Viridis)

While I was trying to convince the leafhoppers to pose for me, I also found this other 'mini grasshopper'.

It's actually a Common Groundhopper - they are a third family like Crickets and Grasshoppers but much smaller and less well known. This is the first I've found, although they are supposed to be pretty common, but it's not much larger than the leafhopper, so I guess you have to really look hard for them.

Speaking of Grasshoppers - a lovely Common Green one on a bramble leaf

Only the back of this one is actually green

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to James:

Great pics Nigel,  it's same up at L.M.  more insects than birds !    Wondering if some of the Warblers have already left as only heard one Sedge (with the whistle in the twittering ! ) maybe Britain got too hot for them lol

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Very nice Nige, they have some lovely patterns! I saw my first Cricket/Grasshopper a week or two ago and It never stood still long enough for a photo.

• In reply to Wildlife Endeavours :

Thanks all

WE - In my experience, you have to get down on your knees and look for grasshoppers and crickets when you hear them. People will think you're mad but that adds to the fun! Move your hand through the grass and wait for them to jump. You'll be surprised how many there are down there and you'll soon find one that will pose for you. Don't wait and hope to spot one as they are too well camouflaged until they jump.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

I had a great surprise today when checking rather tall Buddleia for Hummingbird Hawk-moths when I saw a Grasshopper half-climbing, half-hopping to the top ... couldn't get a pic though!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Nice 1 Wendy, I have yet to see one :(

Got my first Holly Blue this morning at LM still here for another day and its been hot.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• In reply to James:

Anyone into ID-ing Craneflies??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Surely they cannot be real crane flies - you've done more than look at them and they still have all their legs attached.

• In reply to IanMSpencer:

Lol Ian, never handled them, this is how I found them at the moth trap!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr