So big tick for me!

Well done, did you keep it H?

Great CU face, lovely red eyes!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    Well done, did you keep it H?

No, I try not to bring any home, although I get the odd stowaway in the camper that comes out with the equipment in the morning! I don't usually do faces either, but the Copper Underwings palpes were one of the ways of distinguishing it from Svensson's.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

I did a couple of palp pics to check for Svenssons too H ... it wasn't!!

As you know I did pop Mrs Angle Shades into a jar & she laid eggs (that was on 15th Aug) ....... now the day of reckoning has arrived!! Lol

Egg cases looking empty

The bottom of the jar 

Hard to get any detail yet as not in good position but didn't dare try to move eggs in case of damage, so impossibly tiny!

Pleased to see they are finding their way onto young Bramble leaves (spend a fair amount of time cutting spiny ribs out for Oak Eggars so will just have to do more now!)

No wonder you don't bring any home H! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

That's great news for the Angle shades eggs. You must be the only one around your area who picks the Bramble leaves rather than the Blackberries! LOL

I went out with the boss of the Catalogue group a day or so ago. It was almost a 2 hour drive to get there & it went really well until midnight when there was a heavy shower & we all got very wet! Find of the day was this moth that took off straight after one rotton photo & then it rained so never saw it again. I put it on the French forum & it's 3-0 in favour of my idea, a Small Dotted Footman, last recorded in the departement in 1987.

We had about 85 species in all which wasn't too bad & quite a few different to what I normally get like this Cynaeda dentalis

we had several Pale Grass Eggars

& a Gem

I stayed in the camper overnight & in the morning had nice wet jeans to put on as my waterproof jacket let all the water run onto them!!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Oh dear H, try to remember spare dry clothes next time! Good find with Footman though & I'm itching to get a dentalis here!

We attempted an all-nighter @ MNR for moths/bats roost but had to abandon around 02.30 due to bright full moon & rapidly falling temps ... scarcely anything around & quite disappointing!

Our weather today set to be very wet & extremely windy which I hope doesn't come your way!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

WendyBartter said:
    Our weather today set to be very wet & extremely windy which I hope doesn't come your way!

I wish, no sensible rain for weeks & can't go away on holiday as we're watering the garden every other day. The full moon is a problem but it was nice & cloudy the night we caught a shower. It was only 1,5mm but enough to soak me through! Yes spare jeans next time! I'm trapping at the house tonight, but thats easy as i just let it run & go & look in the morning. I've also got my wine rope out, hanging in the fig tree & had 4 moths on it last night at bedtime.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Good luck with wine rope H & I will do rain dance for you when fully awake! Lol  Really should put my wine pot out as I see that Clifden & Red Underwing been attracted in my area during the last week but with Hornets & Wopsies too! Ugh ... maybe get me a biohazard suit! 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Yes, we were counting the European Hornets vs the Asiatic Hornets on the rope last week. Around 3 of each at different times, but they don't seem to bother us. These are a couple of mine, Orache Moth

& a Sorcerer Moth

both of which turn up regularly at the moth trap!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Beauties H, never seen either, are they strictly European?

Someone on local moth group advocates potting the first Hornet for the evening which seems to deter others???

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

You should get the green one Wendy but the Sorcerer isn't in my British book.

I might try that Wendy fpr the Hornets, they are a big nuisance when they are around the sheet. When they are on the wine rope they aren't bothered but around the light they just keep coming!

EDIT The green one is a rare immigrant, still a long hot summer so maybe around.

Best wishes