Mostly Moths 2018

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    Angle Shades not interested in eating, crawled between the sheets of kitchen paper, may find pupa there soon, fingers crossed it hasn't been parasitised!

Methinks it has, not looking good ... poor Tyson/Dyson!

Shall keep it to see what manner of beastie has taken over!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Good to see you getting Moths H, I will have to hoover my shed area before I start again, tooooo many spiders!

Sorry for teasing you about silkmoths but couldn't resist the laugh!  Not my first choice but was offered by a lady from Monkton NR who had bred them so they should be free of parasites!

Hope I have more success with these than trying to overwinter Oak Eggar who were going great guns & then suddenly failed, could have been something on the bramble leaves or heather plant .. they were continually hungry & growing out of skins so had to keep feeding!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

I don't think these ones that overwinter as a caterpillar are very easy, neither the one's that live in the soil for 2 years! You do a great job anyway!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Every website said how difficult it was to overwinter them, probably should have kept two in separate container as a control ... learning on the job!!

Do have just the one surviving Fox Moth larvae which went to ground in  nest of leaf litter, in shed & hoping to see it emerge in Spring to pupate ... who knows?

Gales are due to abate in couple of hours & morph into heavy downpours, looking blacker by the second!  Grrrrr, no moth trap tonight then although very mild still!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Another trap last night and a few different ones, a very pretty micro Acleris hastiana

Hebrew Character

& Pale Brindled Beauty

Happy nights are here again! LOL

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Great stuff H, just read on Kent Moths on FB that these are around, must dust my gear off!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

I've just got the rope out tonight, feeding time!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Good luck!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Only one tonight, a Bloxworth Snout (who was Bloxworth ?)

Off now for a quick game of cards & then bedtime!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

who was Bloxworth ?)

More like where is Bloxworth? ........ small village in Dorset where it was first recorded!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr