All about Insects 2017

• In reply to WendyBartter:

interesting insect Wendy, I've been googling and can't really come up with much although it looks similar in some ways to THIS although as you say some sort of Crane fly looks to be right !   

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

I think Hazy is right, Ichneumonidae, but there are plenty to choose from www.galerie-insecte.org/.../Fam_Ichneumonidae_01.html LOL!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Thanks you two aitch's, never thought of that as looked a bit big but seems likely ... hope it didn't lay any eggs to predate our caterpillars with!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Monday morning rescue ... as we left house found a newly emerged Red Admiral on the very wet path having fallen from pupa high up on wall ... moved to plant quickly then checked when back from school run ... everything sopping wet so brought it into house & placed onto kitchen towel propped up on tall dish ... or, at least, tried to but it decided to run up my hand & onto sleeve of fleece! Lol

One wing very curled in, got it onto kitchen paper & left it to dry out, watched it uncurling it's proboscis & start to raise antennae

I had to leave then but Emily has since informed me that the wing looks better & antennae fully raised so she has placed it outside in a pot of Violas & will keep an eye on it ... very sunny & warm here today but breeze is strengthening!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

well rescued Wendy, there have been tons of Red Admirals around this season.   Not many sightings here at the moment with butterflies or birds as they must know about approaching Orphelia and are hunkering down !   Only the corvids are braving the increasing winds.  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Have seen a couple of RA's this morning in the warm sun so very lucky to be in this part of the country today ... not so fortunate 30 years ago!  

Had to make mercy dash to local reserve earlier to collect bramble leaves for my Oak Eggarlarvae who have eaten all in garden & was very fortunate to see a Buzzard flying reasonably low over Thanet Way, didn't seem perturbed by the wind!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

@ Wendy,   winds really picking up here with quite intense gusts at the moment so watching all the tall oaks in our garden with slight trepidation; they have been checked for safety by tree surgeon in April but debris still comes flying off so Mike's under orders not to venture outside as bird feeders have been whittled down to essential ones only and of the none swaying variety !!   only corvids and wood pigeons braving the conditions at the moment and, of course, not a sign of a butterfly anywhere unlike yesterday.  Bizarre conditions as the sun is out, its warm and we have a beautiful blue sky !   did you get the unusual red sun (sahara dust, etc,) this morning ?  it was beautiful here.

Yikes, these strong gusts are unnerving :(  stay safe all.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Actually didn't notice any difference in Sun this morning aitch but very odd coloured sky at sunset, very cloudy, early dark but quite dark pink hue all over ... was like being in a different universe driving to Emily's about an hour ago!  So very warm still, weird!

Hope those gusty winds don't cause you any problems!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

It's been very warm here & making the most of the warm nights with moth-traps here & there. We are getting a lot of red Admirals, Peacocks & also various blues. Too many mosquitos making the most of the damp mornings though!

P.S. Just seen this about reporting your Red Admirals https://insectmigration.wordpress.com/red-admiral-migration/

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Thanks for the link Hazel,  I'll keep my eyes open for R.A's with todays sunshine as they seem to head for the oak bark.  Here's a pic from last month when we had around a dozen of them on one trunk !   Could only get 8 or so  in fame as the others were higher up the trunk !   

Regards, Hazel