All about Insects 2017

• In reply to WendyBartter:

That's what you get for having a green lid. It probably thought it was hanging off a big square leaf. Excellent close-ups of the Small White's weird eyes by the way.

I got this portrait of a hoverfly yesterday

And the whole thing - Helophilus Pendulus

I realised I haven't seen too many wasps this year.

I then had to look up how to ID them and came to the conclusion it's the Common Wasp - quite hairy when the light is right. It was quite lazy but since you can't count the antenna segments I'm not sure if that means it was a male or just chilly.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Aha ... the footballer, could have kicked that wasp into goal!!

Great pics Nige (thank goodness my laptop google doesn't think you're that big! Lol)

I like to provide home comforts to my incumbents!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Got these today.

I'm not sure the little moth appreciated its larger cousin putting it in the shade.

I think this is a Migrant Hawker. It started as a record shot, because of the leaf, but it flew away before I could improve on it. Then I realised I'd caught it having lunch. No idea what it's tucking into though.

And I don't see many Shieldbugs. I guess a Red-ledged one for obvious reasons.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Great captures Nige, sorry can't ID Moth but H probably knows!

Can't make out what Dragon is eating either!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

WendyBartter said:
    Currently walking up & down netting flexing it's wings but can't fly yet, should be able to be set free tomorrow!

Weather wasn't fabulous today but did let RA fly free today during the brightest spell ... thrilled to watch it fly off strongly!

Am now sitting right next to the other one with cam at the ready to record emergence ... provided it doesn't sneak out whilst I'm asleep in bed!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

WendyBartter said:
    Great captures Nige, sorry can't ID Moth but H probably knows!

Guess at Nettle-tap but could be a close relative!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Looks good to me H ... Happy Birthday on here too!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Thanks Wendy!

We had a funny little insect in the kitchen a while back which I finally managed to identify as a type of ant "Solenopsis fugax" & think its a queen, it looked so funny like a car with a huge trailer, the grey line in the photo is the tile joint & 3mm for size,

While checking the identity around the web, I found out that lots have people have ant breeding stations & they even sell kits on-line. Not my cup of tea but Wendy........maybe!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Not for me H although do observe their funny antics in the garden still!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

I would have said an Ant and a Queen but you beat me to it Hazel :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures