All about Insects 2017

• In reply to James:

Thanks for that info, been reading Wiki on the subject & see Peppered Moth mentioned but could be way off, see what Steve says ...

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Geometer_moth

That's one teeny specimen JB, wonder what that will be when it grows up?

If I'd found them they would be in a pot indoors to grow,  pupate & see what emerges!  Such a fascinating insight into a secret world!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Cyclist:

Cyclist said:

Found this in my t shirt the other day, great little mover but what is it.  I did take it back outside and left him in the shrubbery)

Looks spot on for a Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata) to me.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Well done H, just heard back from Steve Ogden that it is Brimstone Moth ... will have to tranfer over to MM thread!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

New kid on the block today .... Small White Butterfly emerged .... did I see it happen??  No not as I was in garden stripping down the runner beans!!!

Drying it's wings

Face shot

Close-up of those fascinating eyes

May get a pic of open wings tomorrow, keeping it in butterfly house overnight, with freshly picked blossoms, as Storm Aileen has arrived to batter us!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:
    I think your pupa may be a fly (Diptera) Wendy.

You were spot on again H ... this is what came out yesterday

Candidate for BU thread methinks

Right way up ... Hairy-B*m variety! Lol

Let it go out of front door last night & it flew straight back in ... fortunately still a bit dopey & let me re-trap it as it sat on lounge wall ... is gone!!!

As is this one which emerged from a tiny pupa I'd popped in a pot some time ago

Looks a bit 'Ichy' to me!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Found this item about a parasitic fly like yours Wendy, which may be contributing to the decline in Tortoishell Butterflies as it attacks the larvae of a lot of this type of butterfly including Red Admirals.

chrisraper.org.uk/blog

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Very interesting findings H, I must be even more stringent in checking foodplant leaves for my incumbents, have some interesting looking eggs found yesterday on nettle leaves & currently in a pot to see what hatches ... Have to brush the undersides of all bramble leaves to remove hordes of Whitefly larvae!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

WendyBartter said:

Close-up of those fascinating eyes

May get a pic of open wings tomorrow, keeping it in butterfly house overnight, with freshly picked blossoms, as Storm Aileen has arrived to batter us!!

Vid of butterfly showing how it's ready to fly away ...