All about Insects 2017

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Don't think I've ever seen such long antennae ...

Possible Ichneumon Wasp pupa ... watch this space!

I believe it came from my poor Red Admiral pupa!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Your first one looks like a caddis fly to me wendy, as you say, nice long antennas. I was going through the cabbages with OH to pick off caterpillars & found this

It appears to be something that has grown in the body of a Small White caterpillar. It was attached to the cabbage leaf like a pupa. Any ideas? I have it in a jar to see what, if anything, comes out!

EDIT I've found mine Hyposoter ebeninus, a type of saw-fly (Hymenoptera) ! I think your pupa may be a fly (Diptera) Wendy.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

We will have to see what emerges from our respective pupae H!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Just spotted this on a sunflower plant

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Is it this one D?

www.naturespot.org.uk/.../lejogaster-metallina-0

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

these are pics of butterflies taken over the past few months at various places around Suffolk

These were taken at Minsmere back in June, a colourful looking snail but no idea what kind.

This I think is a Speckled Wood on blackberry bush

A Small Tortoiseshell taken at RSPB Fowlemere beginning of July when we saw the Turtle Doves but too far away for pictures.

A day later when we were at Sutton Hoo on a walk around the wooded grounds we saw these, a Meadow Brown,

Beewolf

And a Gatekeeper on brambles.

This one in the garden I"m not sure what it is, anyone ID please.

If the birds aren't playing ball you can always turn to interesting and colourful insects

KR
    Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• In reply to tony:

My second Red Admiral caterpillar is pupating, fingers crossed  for a better outcome, found a very useful twig of nettles & he climbed up it & made a tent, can't see much detail ...

quite a good view of his shrugged off head & bits thought ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Don't show this to Ron H ...the latest pic of Large White Butterfly larvae, new ones & older ones ... they have all gone outside now to a carefully preserved Nasturtium plant ...

quite amazing just how fast they grow!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Dragonfly Question

we have been rather blessed to have this wee creature in our garden pond.  we have seen it 4 or 5 times this last fortnight (I suppose it might not be the same one)  and on every visit it spends its time prodding about in the moss growing on stones at the edge of the water with the end of its tail. I'm guessing it is laying eggs, however everything I read suggests they lay eggs in the water.  So is this one hoping its eggs will get washed out of the moss into the water - or may be it has nothing to do with egg laying and could it be scenting ?  I doubt it is eating with its bottom but it does seem to have a large tooth / claw on its tail end

• In reply to Cyclist:

Just copied this from google ...

***Many females use their lance-like ovipositors to insert eggs into plant stems, sphagnum moss, rotting wood or wet soil.***

That is the ovipositor you describe as large tooth/claw!

I just downloaded this PDF for beginners ...

british-dragonflies.org.uk/.../Dragonflies%20PDF.pdf

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr