A sunny Moss Valley (Sheffield) today and the fields/woods came to life.

• In reply to Alan.:

I do find the woodpeckers incredibly difficult to shoot. Only seen them 3 or 4 times in a year or more but always hear them.

• In reply to Alan.:

lovely set of photos Bob, looking at that G.S. Woodpecker I know where to come when I need some trees taking down !!!    

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

It was amazing Hazel, he went for it big time.... been watching birds for a year or so, really is amazing watching them. Even feel a little arrogant that I know where I can catch them etc. I can hear a buzzard from a mile away and how satisfying is to look over to the noise and see a buzzard.

• In reply to Bob S:

Best thing is for me that I never made an effort to learn their noises but now I know 12 or more and can expect to see the bird I'm hearing. 12 isn't a big thng on this site but it still tickles me to see the bird I'm hearing... last year their calls would have all been a blur!

• In reply to Bob S:

It's these sorts of things which add to the joy of birdwatching;  I can hear the woodpecker drilling a nest hole nearby and occasionally we see her on the feeders although she's quite a nervous bird so zips off at the slightest movement.    We are also lucky to have buzzards overhead as they nested in the garden across the road !   trouble is the Corvids chase them away so its hard to grab photos of them.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

I do love the buzzards... today when I took the woodpecker photo crows were on one above the woods, couldn't take a photo as it was through the trees. So weird that I've done the walk for a while but just started looking out and spotting them... the same with kestrels. I have to say my favourite at the moment are the goldcrest... like wrens so quick to capture.

• In reply to Bob S:

Bob S said:
    it still tickles me to see the bird I'm hearing

I understand completely Bob and although I only know a few calls  each time I learn something knew or hear a bird that I am able to pick out from its call/song it is always a thrill but I'm still at the starting gate  !    I've only been birdwatching a few years but I think this forum has been such a godsend with its wealth of information, experts and input from everyone.     It's amazing how much you can learn from participating in this community and I thank all for their posts which have inspired me to keep learning  !   

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Another update, went back to the woods and fields today and there are now 5 woodpeckers that I could count, chasing each other so I presume there are juvenile, maybe. Anyways here are a few from today.

• In reply to Bob S:

...and some none bird photos from today.

• In reply to Bob S:

Lovely photos, Bob. Don't the birds look splendid in their Spring plumage.

Bob S said:
    5 woodpeckers that I could count, chasing each other so I pesume there are juvenile, maybe.

Too early for juveniles to be about. Probably rival males fighting for the attention of females.

Nice to see the butterflies starting to appear. I saw a Brimstone a couple of days ago but haven't seen a Comma like yours yet.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream