Mainly Mammals

• In reply to Noisette:

It's pastry Hazel the bit is no bigger than a thumbnail

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Cracking shots of the little Weasel, Alan. The frosty ground sets him off beautifully.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Didn't know weasels would go for pastry. I shall look out for one next time I'm at the bakers!!

Lovely photos though.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Alan.:

Alan W said:

It's pastry Hazel the bit is no bigger than a thumbnail

I keep forgetting how small they are, but then it's ages since I've seen one, we used to have one at our previous house sometimes.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

One from the archives. From the exotic: an Agouti in Trinidad.

To the more prozaic; a Brown Rat in my garden. What do you mean urgggh? I think they are are cute. LOL

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

A great thread, Paul, thanks for starting it.  I love your Wabbits, always had a soft spot for them.  Love your Weasel story, too.  Not surprised to see it swimming as they are relatives of Otters and Mink, both of which are fantastic swimmers.

TJ, Your Deer-with-Bambi and the Otter are very sweet, but how did you talk your way inside the Otter enclosure at Slimbridge?  What is your secret--old friends with some of the staff?  I'd love to have an Otter balancing with a paw on my knee in order to reach the fish treat as they do with the Otter keeper!

Hazy, Love your Koala but I'd try to avoid a Croc.  Your Pigs do not look very lively--lol!

Hazel, Love your Hare and the Wild Boar but I would not like to come face to face with one like you did!

Alan, What a beautiful Weasel and it loves your pastry!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to TeeJay:

Lots of great additions from all of you today.

Hazel: Lovely capture of the Hare; they usually thunder off into the distance before you get a chance to photograph them.

Alan: I was hoping you’d maybe post some of your Weasel shots, it’s reassuring to know that at least one of us is capable of taking sharp shots of them.!! :-)

Tony: I read that Agouti can fluff out (a bit like like a cat does) when alarmed, to appear bigger to a potential predator. Apparently they are also able to recognise the sound of fruit or nuts hitting the ground when they fall from the trees (the fruit and nuts that is….not the Agouti).!!

I’ll add a shot of a wee Bank Vole which I took last summer. It was taken at Morton Lochs near St Andrews. There’s a feeding area for the birds and the Vole seemed to have a network of tunnels under an old log where seed and things were scattered. It was a case of picking one of the entrances to the network, a fair bit of waiting, and trying to squeeze the shutter just as it poked its head out. It was an expert at rapid appearances (and even more rapid disappearances) but eventually it stayed still for a second or so until I got the shot.  :-)

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    how did you talk your way inside the Otter enclosure at Slimbridge?

No special privileges, Ann. It just so happened that it was a very wet and windy day and only a mum with her young son and me turned up for the feeding time. The keeper knowing that I'd wanted to get some photos invited us inside the enclosure. The young lad was scared so didn't go in. The otters were so excited and running round our feet that it was quite tricky to get decent photos especially as it was such poor light but a very nice experience

Paul A said:
    Tony: I read that Agouti can fluff out (a bit like like a cat does) when alarmed, to appear bigger to a potential predator. Apparently they are also able to recognise the sound of fruit or nuts hitting the ground when they fall from the trees (the fruit and nuts that is….not the Agouti).!!

I didn't know that, Paul. These were at the ASA Wright centre which is a protected reserve so they were probably pretty relaxed..

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    The keeper knowing that I'd wanted to get some photos invited us inside the enclosure

TeeJay said:
    The otters were so excited and running round our feet that it was quite tricky to get decent photos especially as it was such poor light but a very nice experience
        I wouldn't mind a wild weather day if I was treated to that experience - wow,  sounded wonderful Tony.    They are awfully hard to keep up with when photographing, they never stay still - worse than the Goldcrests   lol

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Paul, Your Vole definitely deserves an Ahhhhh!

TJ, Lucky you, what a delight to have Otters romping around your feet!  Not sure how I am going to persuade Mr GB to visit on a wretched day, especially since it is a very long drive from Surrey, but maybe one day...

Hazel, At least Otters are a bit bigger than Goldcrests so you might catch a part of them!

Kind regards, 

Ann