Mostly Moths 2017

• In reply to Noisette:

How awful H, thank goodness the Oak Eggar is only mildly irritating though I've never put it to the test ... always wear rubber gloves when cleaning out & transfer using paintbrush & big smooth spoon!

I did recently have to remove a cocoon of highly irritant Brown Tails from my Cotoneaster tree, get one every year somewhere in garden!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

Hopefully they'll be going into Winter mode soon & they won't need feeding until the Spring! Are they in your shed?

Still on dining table H but transferred to a larger pot to keep everything fresh & mould free ... they appear to have settled down now & not feeding but smaller ones still changing skins ... this pic to show the enormous size difference given that they are from same batch

Oak Eggar larvae at rest 1st Dec

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:

footage shows her laying eggs on her cocoon after laying a couple to the left first ... she appears to have finished now after laying not so many as others have done before,

But I later discovered that Mrs VM had not done with laying eggs

Last pic on 14th Nov

Next day I saw that she had moved to bottom of cocoon & laid some more

Fascinating that unlaid eggs can be seen still in her upper body!

[/quote]Well!!!  I had put her in shed but yesterday I checked all was OK & found this

How determined was she to lay all those eggs that could be seen in her body in previous pic!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

Wow that is amazing Wendy. You could write a scientific paper about them with all your knowledge.

I went off to do a moth trap about 10 days ago, it was one warm night before it went cold again & managed to get a new one for me & our departement

it's a Juniper carpet & quite rare so well pleased. I've also had the rope out, but not many takers lately!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Thanks H, I do intend to write up my findings with this fascinating Moth during the Winter months especially as I've wimped out of traps recently, far too cold & on the occasional mild nights it's always too wet!  Roll on Spring!

Nice Moth!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

I found these pictures on my camera, forgot all about taking them on 3rd November! (conveniently, a wood louse walking up the wall next to it shows size comparison)

• In reply to Sandra :

Ooh that looks interesting, not sure what it is but I'll have a rummage. It may be similar to one of Wendys babies! LOL

EDIT I think it's a Buff Ermine (Spilosoma lutea) have a look here http://www.pyrgus.de/Spilosoma_lutea_en.html

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Thank you, Hazel :)

• In reply to Sandra :

You should have kept it Sandra to watch it change into a hairy ginger beastie & pupate using it's shed hairs woven with silk into protective cocoon ... have one overwintering in my shed!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

A few old favorites to round off the year, last night I had a Chestnut on the wine/sugar rope

& there were 3 moths around the trap this morning, a White-speck, this Double-striped Pug

& Eudonia Angustea high up on the wall

A very Happy New Year for tomorrow to my Mothy pals & other forumites, hopefully I'll start a new thread for Mostly Moths 2018, if it's late blame it on a storm that's coming tomorrow, there are bound to be power-cuts, just hope it's not too bad. It's also high tides so fingers crossed the marshes won't be flooded.

Best wishes