Robins for MC

• A good set up for the photos

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to monkeycheese:

Thanks, Paul. I had a feeling that you would know the answer! Some years ago we had a Robin with a very beautiful and complicated song but I think one of the neighbourhood cats got it. When another Robin took over the territory the poor thing had the feeblest and shortest of songs and I really missed the previous bird.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Lovely pics of Little HTR--thanks, Paul. Hope he acquires a mate soon.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• I just had a couple of new experiences with Little HTR. He nearly always comes down for a wax worm from my hand when I open the kitchen door. Sometimes that involves flying across from one of his territorial trees, which are as much as 100 yards away. Often he takes a single wax worm and then returns to his singing. He clearly isn't taking the wax worm because he's hungry, there are plenty of mealies around the garden, so I do wonder why he does this. He also waits on the feeder tray until I return with wax worms, even when the tray itself has a pile of live mealies on it.
    Anyway, despite the rain, he waited until the door was open and then suddenly burst into very loud song. I then noticed Mrs Little HTR was perched near the water dishes. I was hoping he might take one of the waxies to her, but he scoffed them all himself. She dived into the flowering currant in search of mealies. This was the first time I had seen them together on the patio.
    I closed the kitchen door and made myself a snack. About ten minutes later I heard very loud singing coming from near the kitchen door. Little HTR was back (a first) and I gave him about 5 or 6 waxies. He took a few and then departed. Mrs Little HTR meanwhile, was enjoying a bath.
    Hopefully this new behaviour will continue and if the rain stops, I will get some decent pics of them together.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Good they are both frequenting your garden but LHTR will have to start thinking of offering the female a bouquet of waxies or there may be no little "Roblets" this year ! Sounds like you have some good entertainment value anyway !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Exciting news MC. Sounds very encouraging for the coming season, hopefully you will get a chance of courtship feeding soon. Titch is still searching I think, he was twarbling to me today, he takes food and flies over to sit on top of next doors oak tree, (it's only small) and does more singing from there, another Robin is around but think it is a male as they chase each other around now and again.

Lot to learn

• That might well be a female. Males invariably chase females for a few days before the penny drops and they realise the intruder is a female. Most territorial disputes are settled by song alone rather than physical conflict. Keep an eye on them and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Good news about Little HTR and Mrs. LHTR, Paul. Hope you can get a few photos of the two together very soon. We've had two Robins sitting within a few feet of each other half a dozen times in the last week and no fighting or chasing so fingers crossed that we have a pair. Haven't seen any courtship feeding yet but there are many places in our garden and in neighbouring gardens where they can hide from view--behind tree trunks, etc..

Kind regards, 

Ann

• It's a bit early for Courtship Feeding but everything seems to be out of synch at the moment, so who knows?