Robins for MC

• little poser today...

• Mrs Little HTR seems to have abandoned the nest in the cypress tree. Maybe there was too much activity for her on the patio. Anyway, Little HTR has been courtship feeding for several days and as of yesterday he has been taking away waxies two or three at a time. He is flying off towards the far end of the school playground. I assume she has nested there. Today I managed to get some pics of him before he landed on the door handle.

Ready for take-off. You can see the tipped tail feathers indicating that he's a first year Robin. Following their first year moult, the tail feathers of a Robin are rounded at the end.

Getting closer and looking rather grumpy.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Gorgeous pics of HTR it is a shame they have left the Cypress tree MC where you would have been able to monitor them easily, but glad he is still courtship feeding. Keeping fingers crossed you get to see more action.

Lot to learn

• Super photos Paul, love the look of concentration as he's about to take off !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I am guessing this is mating behavour or the robin saying Oh god not again..

and just a few more from today

• Just seen the photos brill
  • Looks for like territorial behaviour to me, unless they haven't paired up yet.

• Mrs Little HTR visits once or twice each day and Little HTR invariably takes live waxies from my hand and then gives them to her. Up until this afternoon, I had been unable to photograph them together because I have always had a handful of waxies. When I heard her calling today, I threw the waxies into a flower pot, grabbed the camera and waited for him to feed her. I missed the first feeding but managed to get the second. I also got one nice pic of her waiting to be fed. I'd say she's incubating, based on her brood patch and the fact that he keeps taking away live waxies each day.

• In reply to monkeycheese:

monkeycheese said:
    Looks for like territorial behaviour to me, unless they haven't paired up yet.

Nooooooo! I was hoping they were  a breeding pair.  Thanks MC for your expertise .

• They could be. It just means the male simply hasn't recognised her, or it's an intruding male with its back to you.