Robins for MC

• Very nice pictures Hazel, I am up at LM tomorrow with big Jim so might bump into you and Mike :)

Jim

My Pictures

• Ok, I haven't added to this thread lately. The Little HTR's have been flitting around (mainly him) and on January 29th I witnessed Courtship Feeding. Luckily, it appears that she hasn't nested yet, or at least hasn't laid a full clutch, as I see her each day. She tends to be more evasive than he, but over the past week there has been more activity on or near the patio. If I see her, then he isn't far away and always flies across to the kitchen door for waxies. Here are some photos of Mrs Little HTR. He is tucked away in the first pic. He had just had a bath and was preening.

Little HTR is behind the main vertical branch of the flowering currant near the top

Little HTR interrupted his drying off and collected a single wax worm which he gave to Mrs Little HTR. This is her.

This is her a few minutes later and looking rather more 'dinky'

The above photo and those below are from today. Little HTR was busy singing in the holly tree and I managed to lure out Mrs Little HTR with a couple of live waxies. She had been tucked away in the flowering currant, but the waxies piqued her interest.

World's tallest Robin lol

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Lovely catch-up!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Something has definitely got the interest of the world's tallest Robin! Either another Robin or a giant waxworm, I'd guess!

Nige   Flickr

• So after looking at MC's  tallest robin.....

I think I have captured Scotlands fattest  robin lol

not sure if this is the same one....

and standing tall...

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Paul and Linda, Lovely photos--thanks!
    Paul, I think Mrs Little HTR is saying 'Ooooh, Mister! What have you got there?! Please may I have some?!'

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Good to catch up MC, great photos of both the Robins, amazing what a few wax worms can do to alter the shape:-)

Maybe your Scottish Robin had a quick feed on the sly Linda, it was rather plump:-)

Lot to learn

• There were two very busy individuals in the garden today. I spent about four hours repairing the garden fence after it was repeatedly blown down during the two recent storms. Meanwhile, Mrs Little HTR was gathering nesting materials and taking them to the cypress tree. Little HTR was never far away. He occasionally took live waxies to her, but mainly seemed to be following her around without interacting with her. Interesting behaviour. I only managed one photo of her with nesting material as she was being very evasive while moving around the garden.

Mrs LHTR taking a well deserved bath

Collecting a dried leaf

Oh my. Little HTR paused briefly on the fence near the nest and I was there to get a lovely pic of him.

The potential nest is somewhere in here. There were already several sections of wire mesh around the base and I have placed a few bird spikes near the bottom of the fence to deter cats. The tree was almost blown down in the storms but I secured it to the fence about 2 weeks ago. It is still at an angle but won't go anywhere now.

• More nest building from Mrs Little HTR today. I can only think the time she is taking is due to the lack of dry nesting materials. The pair of them have been flitting around the garden together for much of the day (apart from when it was snowing). Lots of bathing but never at the same time. One is always nearby. I assume they are keeping watch.

He's in the Babbling Boulders water feature and she's on the dead branch.

Little HTR was on his way to my hand to collect a wax worm when he took a slight detour and snagged a brown caterpillar. After quite a bit of bashing it around, he finally managed to eat it.

• Great pics MC of the two together. Love the Babbling Boulders and the way the Ivy is growing intertwined nicely now. What kind of bird spikes have you got? I need something to deter next doors cat which runs from me and the water pistol but is deadly with the birds even though she wears a collar these days.

Lot to learn