Robins for MC

• A new area and robin for Paul …………..   CWR   (Carsington Water robin)  !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Maybe it's the camera angle that's thrown me. Is that the same bird in every pic?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to monkeycheese:

monkeycheese said:
    Maybe it's the camera angle that's thrown me. Is that the same bird in every pic?

There were at least two robins chasing one another around;   I will have to check the other pics I have and get back to you on that one;   think No.1  robin is different to No.2 & 3 which are the same.   Ok, I've taken a look through the dozen pics and mostly they are the same robin but think these two pics taken same place, around same time are different. …….

Robin 1   (which is same robin as pics  2 & 3)    

Robin 2     looks slightly different …..         will leave it to you to decide as you study them more than me   lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• There are a few Robin photos in today's Gardening for Wildlife blog, written by the RSPB's Adrian Thomas. Either scroll down the first page of this Forum to the list of latest blogs and look for 'Gardening for Wildlife: A Rapture of Robins' or click here:
    community.rspb.org.uk/.../a-rapture-of-robins

Kind regards, 

Ann

• I finally managed to lure Little HTR from the holly tree and got a few pics of him in the flowering currant earlier this morning. He's still singing his little heart out every day but has yet to attract a female admirer. I have heard the occasional ditting while he's been singing, but I have yet to see the Robin responsible. Hopefully there will be a female around soon. Pairing up time often provides decent photo ops.

• Lovely to see HTR posing so well for you MC. It is an exciting time for the Robins now, I had Titch fluttering at me in the window the other day, I opened the door of the shed and in he flew for his pastry, and what a different bird he was, in and out very quickly and carrying a piece of pastry to tempt the female no doubt, since then he has slowed down once more and is singing from the hedgetop and coming over to me when I'm out in the garden, so the female didn't stay around evidently.

Lot to learn

• I hope Little HTR manages to attract a mate. He certainly is a cutie.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• I was home all day yesterday and managed to spend a few minutes in the garden, just taking in some fresh air. The sky was crystal clear and Little HTR was singing. I grabbed the camera and snapped away.

Little HTR has changed his behaviour over the past three days. His song is even louder and more tuneful than it has been since Christmas, when he started trying to attract a mate. He is also singing from new points. The usual territorial boundaries are still being used, but his song is also coming from areas within his territory. He even sings loudly when he's just a foot or two away from me at the kitchen door. This isn't the normal sub-song but loud singing. Another change is that over the past three days he has also started making the small squeaking noise usually associated with females calling for food. I should add that I have heard ditting coming from the holly tree while Little HTR has been 50 or more yards away and yesterday I saw a new Robin in the feeding area. Little HTR flew across from his distant post and burst into song from the apple tree next door. The other Robin hopped up into the same tree and both birds disappeared. I didn't see any chasing so I have no idea where they went.

Anyway, here are some photos of Little HTR singing from some new perches.

It was slightly windy as you can tell

You can see his pointed (first year) tail feathers in these photos

Back in the apple tree

• Lovely photos of HTR who is certainly putting in the effort to attract a female belting out that song ! Hope the female sticks around and they pair up. Fingers crossed.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hopefully the mystery Robin is a female. This is Little HTR by the way. One of HTR's 2019 offspring (hence the pointy tail feathers).