Robins for MC

• Good to catch up MC, great photos of both the Robins, amazing what a few wax worms can do to alter the shape:-)

Maybe your Scottish Robin had a quick feed on the sly Linda, it was rather plump:-)

Lot to learn

• There were two very busy individuals in the garden today. I spent about four hours repairing the garden fence after it was repeatedly blown down during the two recent storms. Meanwhile, Mrs Little HTR was gathering nesting materials and taking them to the cypress tree. Little HTR was never far away. He occasionally took live waxies to her, but mainly seemed to be following her around without interacting with her. Interesting behaviour. I only managed one photo of her with nesting material as she was being very evasive while moving around the garden.

Mrs LHTR taking a well deserved bath

Collecting a dried leaf

Oh my. Little HTR paused briefly on the fence near the nest and I was there to get a lovely pic of him.

The potential nest is somewhere in here. There were already several sections of wire mesh around the base and I have placed a few bird spikes near the bottom of the fence to deter cats. The tree was almost blown down in the storms but I secured it to the fence about 2 weeks ago. It is still at an angle but won't go anywhere now.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• More nest building from Mrs Little HTR today. I can only think the time she is taking is due to the lack of dry nesting materials. The pair of them have been flitting around the garden together for much of the day (apart from when it was snowing). Lots of bathing but never at the same time. One is always nearby. I assume they are keeping watch.

He's in the Babbling Boulders water feature and she's on the dead branch.

Little HTR was on his way to my hand to collect a wax worm when he took a slight detour and snagged a brown caterpillar. After quite a bit of bashing it around, he finally managed to eat it.

• Great pics MC of the two together. Love the Babbling Boulders and the way the Ivy is growing intertwined nicely now. What kind of bird spikes have you got? I need something to deter next doors cat which runs from me and the water pistol but is deadly with the birds even though she wears a collar these days.

Lot to learn

• Mrs Little HTR was once again collecting nesting materials today. It was raining and most of what she was retrieving was wet. I collected a handful of what I thought might be suitable for her and brought it indoors so that I could dry it. I then put it in a plastic dish which I put on the patio. She seemed pleased with the offering. At one point the dish was blown from the pot, so I got more materials and stuffed it beneath a branch near the water dishes. Little HTR was always close by. They have now reached the point where they no longer wish to share the area with other small birds. They both chased the Spadgers and I just missed getting photos of a BT being pecked. All in all a good day for Robin watching.

Little HTR keeping watch from the (already) Flowering Currant

I ended up taking this one through the kitchen window as the rain had started again, so it's not the best.

Little HTR was keeping an eye on proceedings

Collecting from beneath the branch. She was very busy. The female at Homebase built a new nest in about 4 hours a few years ago. Maybe Mrs Little HTR cannot find suitable items?

Please leave this area...

I was too slow getting the action shot, but you get the idea

All clear

Little HTR

And again

I hadn't realised that Mrs Little HTR was in the background while I was zoomed in on Little HTR

• Very sweet to see the collecting of nesting materials; seems despite the inclement weather the birds are eager to get on with nesting and it looks like you are in for a lot of good photo opportunities Paul :) Lovely set of photos.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• The cypress tree has a very strong fragrance. I'm hoping that might deter the local feline population. The foliage is very dense and Mrs Little HTR has nested about 4ft from the ground.

• Excellent photos, especially collecting all that nesting material and seeing off all the other small birds.

Nige   Flickr

• Good to see the Robin antics, both collecting and sending away of the other birds. Hopefully there is no disturbance and you get good views of young later on.

Lot to learn

• A lovely collection of photos, Paul. Fingers crossed for them to have a successful season.

Kind regards, 

Ann