All about Insects (2015 to March 2017)

Oh well, no sooner said than done. All you budding entomologists or photographers or anyone who likes nature, you can put your insect photos here!

I'll kick off with a few that I've had lately. This first is called a Mantis Fly & is a cross between a Fly & Mantis (funnily enough) & is in the Neuroptera family, which is a mixed bunch anyway, my first & I had 3 of them around the moth trap

& a Rhinocerus Beetle which was also attracted to the light & are quite rare now around here, he really was fabulous, very impressive,

& this Frelon was also in the moth trap, but seemed quite docile as long as I kept my distance!

& some Damsel flies, an Azure Damselfly (thanks for the ID Aiki)

a Large Red Damsel

& from early may a proper fly from the Dipteras, anyone know the English name, I think it's latin name is Otites lamed,

I usually only take photos of flies with interesting wings as I am hopeless at identiying them!

Thanks for looking & maybe you can post some of yours!!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks A, had found Nursery web spider but not the fact that they made this 'tent' nest to release spiderlings into ... all very interesting!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Wendy, you are far too kind. Please don't knock your own photo's, I'd be absolutely delighted to produce images as good as your ones. Both your Pisaura mirabilis (thanks from me as well, aiki) and your Shieldbug shots are superb, especially when viewed on full screen. My only regret is that I don't seem to have your knack of getting the beasties to jump onto me to pose for the photos.!!

My bird photos HERE

• Kind remarks PA & all my shieldbugs are home trained you know! Lol

Sooooooo pleased that NWS did not feel the need for close contact though!  Shudder, shudder!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Today's news on NWS ... it doesn't walk but moves on leaves in a series of 'jumps' ... didn't want to test how far or how high!!

Defensive mode

No threat from me detected

I find it quite intimidating!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, more lovely photos of your big scary spider I see. I wouldn’t be too intimidated by it though, it’s not as if it’ll creep into the house at night and hide under your pillow. I don’t suppose they do that though....not much anyway....probably only very rarely.!! Anyway, lovely photos again and I hope you have a nice evening.  :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Thank you P(rotter)A, just reading this post in my bed!!!!!!! Another quick sweep around the room & under my pillows!

When I was a child I would never let anyone kill a spider in my bedroom in case it's even larger & hairier Mum or Dad came to get me next night!!  (Still think that actually!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Another few from the weekend.

Green-veined White

I think this could be a type of Sawfly but I would happily be corrected. Possibly Tenthredo livida?

This next one I had considered putting on 'The Young of 2015' thread but I think this is a better place for it. I've only really started to look more closely at Damselflies and where this one was seen there were Large Red's, Azure's, Blue-tail's and Common Blues. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I think this one is a Teneral Azure (going by the markings on the thorax). Please feel free to correct me if any of this terminology or information is wrong.

Teneral Azure Damselfly

Finally, a lovely Six-spot Burnet moth which I found when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to get some photos of Chimney Sweeper Moths.

Six-spot Burnet.

My bird photos HERE

• Great photos of the spider Wendy, I'm a bit wary of big garden one's after I was bitten by one. It was my fault as I grabbed the bit of wood it was on, but it was very painful. I never kill them though.

I'm not much help with immature damselflies Paul, but I love the photos coming from your camera. You even got a moth!!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Not sure about the current status of NW spid after today's traumatic events

Engine one

Engine two

Location of nest (marked) in relation to house fire

No humans hurt!!

Checked after all disruption cleared but could not find it, will look again tomorrow!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr