All about Insects (2015 to March 2017)

Oh well, no sooner said than done. All you budding entomologists or photographers or anyone who likes nature, you can put your insect photos here!

I'll kick off with a few that I've had lately. This first is called a Mantis Fly & is a cross between a Fly & Mantis (funnily enough) & is in the Neuroptera family, which is a mixed bunch anyway, my first & I had 3 of them around the moth trap

& a Rhinocerus Beetle which was also attracted to the light & are quite rare now around here, he really was fabulous, very impressive,

& this Frelon was also in the moth trap, but seemed quite docile as long as I kept my distance!

& some Damsel flies, an Azure Damselfly (thanks for the ID Aiki)

a Large Red Damsel

& from early may a proper fly from the Dipteras, anyone know the English name, I think it's latin name is Otites lamed,

I usually only take photos of flies with interesting wings as I am hopeless at identiying them!

Thanks for looking & maybe you can post some of yours!!

• Hi Hazel, great idea for a thread. I'll post a few of my own sightings here although I either don't know, or I'll probably get the names wrong. First up is a pair of beetles.

Gastrophysa Viridula (approx 7-8mm in length)

This next Fly was spotted on a plastic bench, no idea what type though, possibly some sort of Flesh Fly?

(approx 10-12mm in length)

Next up is possibly a Snipe Fly (Rhagio scolopaceus)? (approx 10mm in length)

Final one for the moment is this wee underwater 'nymph' type thing. I've got lots of these in my pond at the moment and I think that it's one of the many types of Mayflies (Ephemeroptera). I think the 'feathery' bits along his flanks are used to breath while the insect is at this stage of development. The photo was taken looking straight down into the water with the insect being around 3 - 4 inches underwater.

(approx 10mm in length)

• Great idea for a thread :)

Your blue damsel looks more like Azure to me - antehumeral stripes are unbroken and it has a 'U' mark rather than a 'wineglass' on S2. Variable also usually shows a blue bar between the blue eyespots (not behind them).

Just  a few from me (and sorry if you've seen them elsewhere already). Here's what I think is an Ashy Mining Bee (Adrena cinerea) - my first ever sighting.

Red-headed Cardinal Beetle (Pyrochroa serraticornis).

Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris).

• Great photos Paul, is that with your new lens?

Thanks for that ID Aiki, you're quite right & will change it. The wing markings on your Bee are amazing, I love looking at all the different vein patterns.

• Hazel C said:
    is that with your new lens?

Hi Hazel, yes the shots were taken with the 100mm macro (EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM). Summer has almost arrived up here and I'm starting to really enjoy playing around with it now that the insects are starting to show themselves a bit more . I've also recently managed to pick up a used EF 200mm f'/2.8L USM which I'm hoping will bridge the gap between the 100 and my 400. The 200 doesn't have image stabilisation so I'm still trying to get used to using it. I don't think it'll be a birding lens unless I use it for the garden birds or somewhere that you can get reasonably close to them, but I think it'll be good for butterflies and things that tend to spook if you get in too close to them. Since I'm here I'll add another few shots taken today at a local pond.

Large Red Damselflies (100mm lens)

Large Red Damselflies (200mm lens)

• It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the 200mm. I tend to use my 105mm all the time but as you say it's tricky for things that bit futher off or flighty. Im always on the lookout for 2nd hand lenses but there doesn't seem to be much of a market over here except at almost new prices!!

• The three pics I posted were taken with a 180mm macro. I have used a 90mm as well and getting close enough was sometimes a problem unless the subject was something very mellow. I find the 180mm a rather difficult and not very forgiving lens to use - am sure it'd be great on a tripod but I'd find that too restrictive.

• Excuse-Me!  Poem.

Opilione opinion/Why only insects in this thread/You`re now not safe with pinny on/And even less when....

• Never before heard of Opilione in relation to Huntsman ... live & learn!!

In the meantime, I investigated the web I saw formed on top of some Geranium leaves & found this

Didn't look too friendly when it jumped into defensive mode as I was working around it!!!

Just remembered about this critter which jumped onto my wrist as I was videoing my Goldfish duo last week, made me jump ... I call it the Jolly Green Giant!!

• Nice photo's Wendy. I think the JGG may be a Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina).

• Thanks PA though my 'in-house' macro setting nowhere near the quality of your super pics!!

Anyone know what variety my spid is??