Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks HinNH but no bells ringing here!!  Here is another view of 'lovely eyes"

Does that help?

Was a great evening, started about 20.30 when first moths were spotted flying & the "expert' switched on the MV light (so bright had to wear sunnies against the glare!)  It's a wonder your ears weren't burning as your name & this forum got many mentions during our conversations &, coincidentally, the guy holidays very frequently with friends who live in the Dordogne (not a million miles from yours is it?)  He just loves the area!  We had about 30 species over about 3 hours but unfortunately no Elephants (there were 4 during the last session in July that I couldn't attend!)  However, there were two firsts for the reserve, the Elder Pearl & a Lichen Moth which Tony was extremely excited about!

I still have to sort out my pics & try to identify, didn't get as many as I would have liked but it was photographically very challenging to get images in the dark (as I'm sure you know) but am quite pleased with one or two of them ... will post asap!

One more comment just now .............. it's all down to you, you know, that had me stomping around in the damp dark (it had rained all the previous night & most of the day) like some excited big kid but I did get to see the resident Barn Owls & the wonderful added bonus that two of the owlets fledged before our very eyes - all fabulous!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This '''beauty'''??  was found in an old shed on the reserve which was being renovated

Weirdly wonderful! 

Who would think it could transform into something as truly beautiful as this

File:Puss Moth (Cerura vinula).JPG

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Moth cats are beautiful and so varied, really like that one. Never seen it before nice find Wendy.

• Thanks DO, I found this on free images of Pussmoths so I could post it here without upsetting anyone's copyright!  In hindsight it would have been good to have kept the caterpillar so as to watch the transformation as shown in this absolutely fascinating YT vid

(C) MolluskMan

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Common in UK & feeds on Poplar, Aspen & Willow!

There is another species in America &  that is the one featured in vid!

Hadn't realised there were two types until you questioned Amber ... our one was definitely cerura verula, UK, European & Asian one!  There is a video on YT of it making it's cocoon but haven't found any of Moth emerging!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, I'm so pleased you had a good night & all my fault too!! I hope you don't end up with a chill from the night air or i'd really be in it! I think lovely eyes is called White-point but it could be Clay difficult to be sure from the photo.

Anyone coming to this area is welcome to get in touch via the forum & join me in a few traps!! We go to the Dordogne quite often for long weekends in the camper. Tomorrow we're off to the Pyrenees for a weeks hols, no internet so will catch up when I get back

Just one last word........I'm so proud of you!!

Best wishes

• Thanks HinNH or should it be HinCV?? Ha ha. I now seem to remember someone saying White Point & looking at the two spots on it's wings!!  Good when the old memory cell gets jogged!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Chez Vous?

Best wishes

• Good try ...camper van!! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr