Racing Pigeon in my garden

This little beauty has been sat in our garden all afternoon eating the bird seed and having a good drink and looks to be in really good condition.  We've managed to get the number from its leg bands but although it's very tame, we did have one go at trying to catch it but if flew off.  It has returned abour half later and is now sat on top of the garage.  I did google up how to report a stray racing pigeon and it seems it is quite common for them to make a 'pit stop' and even says to stop feeding them after 48 hours to encourage them to go home.  So, we're just going to leave it be at the moment, although I can't help thinking there will be someone, somewhere waiting for his racing pigeon to return home.

• Hi Christine,  He/she's lovely.   We had the same thing happen in July last year when a racing pigeon we nicknamed "Tricky Ricky" called in, stayed about 10 days and then disappeared again.   I did give him feed when he first arrived as I wasn't sure how far he had flown but as time progressed I understood to leave it and hope it would decide to fly on home.   It looked lost as it stayed so long;  we did try to catch it a couple of times but like yours, it was skittish and flew further away.    They do say don't bother telephoning the Racing Pigeon Society unless you have it in hand so we could never make that call  !!    Good luck with the pigeon, hope it finds its way home.

• Thanks Hazy and Alan - he's actually gone from the garden now after about six hours so it remains to be seen whether I see him again or not.  I've just been reading a horror story on the net (as you do!) about owners wringing the necks of racing pigeons that get returned after being lost because they are not going to win races if they can't find their way!

• your doing the right thing Christine

Keep taking pictures of the ring

so far I have got GB -197O POSS V FOR THE MISSING no

I think the 12 is the year it was born

the other band I believe is taken off when it lands at its loft and put in a clock to time it

with the band still being on its lost or resting while racing

if it doesn't fly away after resting and you catch it open the wings and there may well be an address and telephone No stamped on the wing

Ray

edit

lots of birds get lost in bad weather and sure the owner will be glad to see it

being a 2year old it must be wanted

• Lovely shots of a cracking looking bird Christine. I remember as a youth coming home on a moped when I was overtaken by a racing pigeon.!! A bit embarrassing and a blow to my ego at the time....a great memory now though.!!

Paul

• Lol Paul!  I can just imagine that!

Ray - I have got the whole number on the band - it's GB12 A 11970.  I looked on a racing pigeon website and apparently the GB means its registered to the Royal Racing Pigeon Association and the 12 is the year of its birth.  It appears to have gone now - it had several bouts of feeding and drinking whilst it was herem so hopefully it's on its way home now.

• Lovely photos Christine -I've had one stay in my garden on two occasions for about a week (the same pigeon). It originated from Ireland- I did e-mail the owner via information I found on a website,but never got a reply. I grew quite fond of it even though it did have a habit of standing in the ground tray !

Jayne

• Thanks Jayne.....    and   snap - here's this one in the ground feeder! 

• Lol Christine -you're gonna have to get it a bigger tray!

Jayne

• Hello and I am racing pigeons and if you want to give it to me I can come after him. Tenks

• Hello and I am racing pigeons and if you want to give it to me I can come after him. Tenks. Email laurentiuu2005@yahoo.es