My Moths

We are doing a moth survey from of our garden this year for a study in the département, but while waiting for the moth traps to arrive I've been leaving an outside light on & photographing all the visitors. Since then I decided to start the "sugar trap". I cooked up a litre of cheap wine & 1 Kg of sugar & put 2 natural ropes in the mixture & left to soak for a few days.

Then last night I suspended the ropes between 2 trees in the orchard (photo taken this morning)

Then while Ron was watching the Golf on TV, I was nipping in & out to see if there were any moths having a tipple. The first time I went out there were 2 who stayed until I went to bed & were gone at 5am when I went out to see if there were any more. I was really chuffed as I didn't think I'd get much.

This is a Herald :

This is Angle Shades

You can see they are both eating, I only hope they didn't have a hangover this morning!! I've left the ropes out so maybe I'll get something else tonight.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• This thread is getting awesome Hazel, the names are as pretty as the moths themselves,keep up the good work. Is there a reason you use red instead of white? just thought I'd ask Lol

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• Thanks all for your appreciation.

Terry : it's actually rosé & I used it as it's the cheapest available (€1,25 a litre)!! I don't suppose they notice the difference in the dark, it just seems to have come out quite dark on the ropes.

I finally got the light trap today & am doing a trial run tonight. There are 3/4 other people spread around Charente Maritime who are also doing the light traps to get the best possible coverage of the area. I must admit that since I started it I've become Hooked (with a capital H). I just love the names too! Amazing!

Further news tomorrow.

Best wishes

• Fascinating Hazel!  I always knew there were loads and loads of different moth species, but to get close ups of such a variety of them is great!  I can see how you could become hooked!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• I seem to have only just caught up with this interesting thread Hazel, wonderful photos and detail,  I don't have a clue about moths so its good to learn more; there are so many beautiful ones.  

Regards, Hazel 

• You are getting some fabulous moths - very addictive although I would have legged it at the sight of the hornet -

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• Great update Hazel, you're getting some real crackers there. Looking forward to seeing what the light trap brings in.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks again for your interest folks.

We picked up the bits for the light trap yesterday & put it all together last night. It's quite simple really, an Ikea laundry bag, in which we cut 3 half round holes leaving the material pegged up. A 15/18W UV bulb, a gubbings to plug it in which is waterproof & can be used in aquariums, some empty egg boxes & a long extension lead (ours) to the garage & a stone to weigh it down if it gets windy. The gubbings :

The bulb

All put together

& then switched on.

I got up at 6h30 to see what was there in case anything tried flying off at daybreak, but they were very good & only one shot off. There were 20 moths in total, of 10 species which isn't a massive amount, but a few prize specimens incuding the biggest of them all measuring 12cm,

A Giant Peacock moth

A Poplar Hawkmoth

A Mullein moth,

& 9 Muslin moths (all males)

I almost forgot the Silver Cloud

There are still a couple to identify, & I should point out that these identities all have to be checked by the "boss" of the group. Any corrections I'll edit in! Any suggestions for alternatives gratefully accepted!! 

I'll only be doing the light trap once a week as the poor moths need a bit of time to themselves for eating & mating etc

Best wishes

• Wow! and more Wow!it's an amazing bit of kit hazel and certainly seems to work, that Mullein moth looks like a wood shaving Lol, great pics and keep them coming.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the egg boxes for? is it to catch them when they drop?

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• Awesome  - nothing less that a stonking Giant

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• Your pics are so good HinGE & very interesting for us to see, look forward to further updates!

Are you going to have a go then D??  I would like to try this, already have a light box I use for pattern tracing, just need UV tube & all the rest of the 'gubbins', must start saving my egg boxes!   Wonder what variety of Moths are in this country?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr