My Moths

We are doing a moth survey from of our garden this year for a study in the département, but while waiting for the moth traps to arrive I've been leaving an outside light on & photographing all the visitors. Since then I decided to start the "sugar trap". I cooked up a litre of cheap wine & 1 Kg of sugar & put 2 natural ropes in the mixture & left to soak for a few days.

Then last night I suspended the ropes between 2 trees in the orchard (photo taken this morning)

Then while Ron was watching the Golf on TV, I was nipping in & out to see if there were any moths having a tipple. The first time I went out there were 2 who stayed until I went to bed & were gone at 5am when I went out to see if there were any more. I was really chuffed as I didn't think I'd get much.

This is a Herald :

This is Angle Shades

You can see they are both eating, I only hope they didn't have a hangover this morning!! I've left the ropes out so maybe I'll get something else tonight.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi Hazel, just catching up with this great thread once again. I see that you're still running up your tally of these gorgeous moths; 275 or so different types? Wow.!! That's seriously impressive.!! Of the last few bunches, my favourites are the Elephant Moths, the Crambidae, (Acylolomia tentaculella)...( I copied the name you had written and pasted it here, I would never have remembered it) and the wee black Leicithoceridae is a cracker..(Same again, copied and pasted). The last one is also a beauty, but then again, they all are. This is such a great thread and once again I think you are to be congratulated on all the hard work you’ve put into all of this. Anyway, I’m off to find your ‘marshes’ thread now, to see what you’ve been up to there.

Wendy: The mind boggles at the amount of information you appear to have stored in your head, I’m almost speechless.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Appearances can be deceptive PA! Lol

Have you never investigated Wikipedia??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    Have you never investigated Wikipedia??

Not really, but I think you can buy a soothing cream for it.!! :-)

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• You do make me laugh PA!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I don't know where either of you get it from, but you both give me a good laugh. LOL! I can't imagine you even 'almost speechless' Paul. LOL

Lots of info too, especially the flower. Our one self-seeded from somewhere but no idea where. There is a lovely red one in our neighbours garden. I'll have to take a few seeds for when we move!

Best wishes

• In case you thought I was mad, read THIS recent RSPB Blog, I'm not the only one!!!!!!!

Best wishes

• Ha ha HinGE, you have found your soulmates ... alive & well & residing in Coombes Valley!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Another couple of traps & the sugar rope & I've almost hit 280 species. Will I get to 300 before 'D'-day when we move on the 15th September? Watch this space!

These are the prettiest of the last faw days with one that has featured before, but it's so lovely I'm putting it on again, this is it, an Orache moth,

& an oddly named Chocolate tip,

a lovely Small Emerald

a Bloxwoth Snout,

a Plumed Fan-foot

a Buff Ermine

a type of Wainscot that I don't know the English name, Anapoma Riparia,

& again on the rope,

& finally a Pale Mottled Willow

Thanks for looking!

Best wishes

• More good ones there HinGE ... what a strange looking moth is that Chocolate Tip, have googled it & all the images are just as unusual in shape!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It is certainly odd Wendy, the legs in the 2nd photo look like big ears to me!! I've managed to turn the 1st photo up the right way, I must be getting the hang of this!

Best wishes