Up with the Larks to catch a Phalarope!

The forecast for this morning was good weather and mrs bob had some plans for a bike ride or tennis. However, I was able to persuade that if I went out really early  I would be back by 11. Though not as early as some of Alan's (doggie) trips, I was on my patch by 6:45 - a world record for me  and in fact I was first one there(-:). I must admit it was fantastic. There was a bit of mist still on the cana where the sun still hadn't got onto it because of the hill, but all the treetops were bathed in beautiful light. And the birds were singing all the way along the towpath - I recognised Blackbirds, Tits, Robin, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Chiffchaff and Wren and there were others I couldn't work out.

First off was an escaping Whitethroat.

but I found it again, though it wanted to stay hidden.

First Skylark of the morning.

The Gadwall's hadn't even stirred.

As opposed to the Whitethroat, the Sedge Warblers are being fantastically cooperative.

anfd the Reed Bunting just wouldn't turn round.

On the way into the meadows from the canal bank, I spooked the Great White Egret so the picture is quite poor, but shows it for what it was. Apparaently it hasn't been seen for a couple of days.

A couple of Lapwing were doing their synchro flying.

Second Skylark of the morning

As I was looking out towards the island in the middle of the scrape on which there were some Ringed Plover (don't know if they were Little) , a Dunlin and a pair of Oystercatchers, I noticed a small flash of red near the water's edge - a small wader bobbing about on the water. I didn't know what it was for sure, other than I remembered last year that we had a Red Necked Phalarope appear on our patch. Took a coiple of quick shots to check agains my ident app and sure enough it's a Red Necked Phalarope. Pictures aren't great as these are at the limit of my lens  - I knew I sjould have bought a 600mm(-:).

This one witha Plover for sze comparison.

This one with an Oystercatcher.

Solo.

last year the bird stayed until July but was hardly visible becasue the vegetation was so high it was impossible to see into the pool at this level at the water's edge. So I suppose this year we should be grateful for the late spring as the vegetation is still low(-:). I wonder if its the same bird, following the same route - perhaps a year older the drive to reproduce might make it move on earlier than last year, but even so I expect that we will be having lots of visitors on our patch over the coming weekend. I believe I was the first to see it(big grin).

Yet another Skylark.

then some canada Geese came into the pool.

Time to head off for whatever mrs bob had in store but at the car park I saw a Wren in a tutu

and then a quick tidy up

and lastly a Chiffchaff

Mrs bob opted for a game of tennis and after that the weather still hadn't changed for the worse as forecast, so I spent an hour up on our local common, as I haven't been there for quite a while - it gets very windy up there(-:).

Its always good for Skylarks, Meadow Pippets, Linnets, Yellowhammers, Stonechat and Wheatear though this afternoon all I saw was Skylark and Meadow Pipit. I had been relatively pleased with some of the Skylark pictures from this morning, but I managedthese this afternoon.

Meadow Pipit

and a Whitethroat which I've not seen up there before.

What an exciting and enjoyable day that was. I will make a point of trying more early starts, esopecially as it will enable me to do other things later in the day(-:).

Cheers,

Bob