• Pigeons and wigeons

Given the surprised reaction we get when we tell concerned members of the public that it is normal to find baby pigeons at this time of year it would seem that many people expect all bird breeding to be done and dusted by now! Not so, the pigeon family especially capitalise on the abundance of seed at this time of year to raise young at a time of natural plenty. From personal observations it looks like woodpigeons and collared…

• What to do on a wet September weekend?

So it looks like a bit of a washout for much of the UK this weekend, at least part of it. So what to do when it's raining, stay in and watch the football, read a book or brave the threatening showers to get out in the garden or venture out to spot some critters? I plan to be doing the latter but from a slightly different perspective than normal, i'll be floating about on a surfboard, which can be a good way to see…

• What lies ahead

In between blogging and moderating forums i'm in the thick of answering all of the emails, calls and letters that come to the RSPB. We're a small team here in wildlife enquiries and we are generally busy all year round. However we have peak busy times and quiet spells just like any other job and we usually look forward to a chance to take stock, catch up and prepare for the next big effort as summer turns to autumn…